Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bottle Filler Cleaning

Servus everybody,

I recently acquired a 4-head bottle filler. However, according to its specs, I cannot clean it using a cleaning solution above 65C. I understand that at this temperature, pasteurization can occur in 30 minutes.

Would running a caustic cleaner through it at 65C for 30 minutes be effective? I typically prefer sanitizing everything using heat along with my normal cleaning regime.

Thanks for the help!

Prost,
    Dave

A 3% caustic solution at 65 C would be great for cleaning. For sanitizing, use peracetic or another sanitizer. I wouldn't trust heat for sanitizing on a bottling line personally.
    Linus Hall
    Yazoo Brewing
    Nashville, TN
    www.yazoobrew.com

Comment

Originally posted by lhall View Post
      A 3% caustic solution at 65 C would be great for cleaning. For sanitizing, use peracetic or another sanitizer. I wouldn't trust heat for sanitizing on a bottling line personally.
      I would agree in general. 3% caustic is my favorite as it cleans most anything well. HOWEVER, if you have any areas that are made of aluminum, not a good choice. Then you would want to go with a non-caustic alkaline solution. Personally I don't trust heat only as a reliable way of cleaning items. It also has a tendency to deform soft parts.

Comment

Thanks for the responses. Everything went very well and the lab report showed no contamination, etc.

Another question: After sanitizing with peracetic, how long can I leave it in the lines? I sometimes will bottle the next day and sometimes two or three weeks later. Can I just keep bottles attached and filled with peracetic acid (although degraded) in order to keep the system closed and sanitized?

Comment

If you cannot fully drain a dry the equipment quickly, then leaving it full of sanitiser is a good idea. Note however, the word sanitisation - it does not mean that it is guaranteed sterile, and for this reason alone, I would give the plant a full clean and re-sanitisation before use. In the big brewing companies I have worked with most of my working life - we would give plant - any plant, apart from brewhouse equipment, a full reclean after 48 hours. Make sure the soaking sanitiser is not too strong - at the bottom end of the working range when leaving like this, to help reduce deterioration due to chemical reaction, and make sure that the seals will withstand the sanitiser you are using. Whilst 3% formulated caustic is fine, it is simply stronger than really necessary at this temperature for such a low level of fouling, so you could use 1.5 to 2% quite happily, and save a little money and reduce the risk of damage to seals etc., and yourself if sprayed with the solution by accident.
          dick

Comment

Like Dick implies, draining and drying quickly would be your best bet. Especially for prolonged periods between use. The PAA will break down slowly and you will then have plain water in the bottles. Not ideal for cleanliness. If you are storing for 24-48 hours, then I would pack with PAA. And like Dick says, I would personally re-clean and re-sanitize each line/equipment before use if it sits for more than a day or two. Not worth the risk in the end.

I like the 3% for my packaging lines because I usually run at cooler temperatures and usually less time than my standard CIPs for tanks. I agree the fouling is usually much less, as long as you clean everything immediately after use. Definitely check for compatibility of chemicals with seals and other materials. Like I said before Caustic and Aluminum do not like each other. In this case, use a non-caustic alkaline cleaner. Some materials don't like PAA.

Comment

Working...
            X