Ame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ame

I know this has been discussed before on the forum, but I can't remember any of it. Is it possible to pass the AME studying on your own, or is it necessary to take a class? Or is it a good idea for a combination of both? If one does pass it, does it help getting a good(better) brewing job?

Cheers,
    Scott
    Scott Isham
    Harper's Brewpub

It is not impossible to study for, and pass the AME on your own. However, I would suggest that if nothing else you find a mentor, preferably local to yourself so that you have some assistance / guidance.

Particularly if you are operating in the micro brewery sector, I suggest it would be extremely useful, if perhaps a trifle expensive to attend some dedicated training courses. I am not sure what the package offered by the Davis Institute is like, but the sessions the IGB run at Aston Business school are residential, include lectures, with pre prepared notes and examples of model answers, and visits to different brewing and packaging plants of different sizes, plus the opportunity to have a good social time. Additionally, if you are not based in the UK (I didn't check your profile first) why not take the opportunity of spending a few extra days looking around one or two parts of the UK and if you wish, visiting a few more breweries. Many of the tutors either are still working in a brewery and will be able to arrange a visit of two themselves, plus of course there will be other attendees who are normally very willing to arrange a visit to their own brewery . Those that are not working directly in a brewery have contacts and you should be able to squeeze a visit or two out of them.

Alternatively of course you could go the whole hog and go to Heriot Watt and do the brewing and distilling degree course which gains you exemption from sitting the AME.

As for prospects - the big boys often expect you to have at least the AME for higher management positions in production, perhaps less critical in micros - I stand to be corrected. However, even if you are working in a micro, or perhaps particularly if you are working in a micro, the range of knowledge required to pass the AME will be incredibly useful, and help you to run one and produce more consistent beers, with the characteristics you desire.

As a member of the IGB, you will be able to take advantage of the job hunting services offered and the occasional job advertised in the journal - bearing in mind that these are heavily biased to UK companies.

For details of the IGB courses at Aston, due to take place next spring ready for the exams next year, look at the website www.igb.org.uk

Good luck what ever you decide to do.

Cheers
    dick

Comment

Search this discussion board for "What is the value of brewing school?" for a range of responses.

Cheers
      dick

Comment

passing the AME on your own

As Dick pointed out, there is a fuller discussion of this topic in the "brewing school" thread. But to answer your question directly, it possible to study for and pass the AME entirely on your own without attending a brewing school. I have done it. It's not to be undertaken lightly, however.

Comment

Working...
        X