Florida Growler Law Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Florida Growler Law Help

Has anybody out there had any experience dealing with state reps or other government posts as far as getting a bill sponsored. The majority of Florida breweries are looking to get together to get our state laws caught up with most of the rest of the country as far as growler sales and other distribution issues. We have what needs to be writen already there. We just need a sponsor! Any advice?????

Your State Representative

Check your voter registration card for your house and senate district numbers.

Your state legislature's website: www.myfloridahouse.gov

Another idea is to get your state liquor control board involved. Micros and warehouse stores (Costco) in Washington state have succeeded in getting the WSLCB to review the entire set of liquor laws regarding the three tier system and direct sales. It'll take a few years to shake out, but everyone agrees it needs to be done.

I hope this helps...

Comment

Have you talked with the BA about this yet?
      Scott Metzger
      Freetail Brewing Co.
      San Antonio, TX

Comment

This is an effort that is being carried by the BA. I am just one of the many working on it.

Comment

Beer & Politics

You can start buy calling representatives from districts where your member breweries are located. Tell them what your are trying to do and ask their support. A legislator is definitely more likely to take on a sponsor role for constituent. You can also try to find a legislator who is known to one of your members as a craft beer aficionado, or small business advocate.

Just getting a legislator to agree to sponsor your bill is only a small part of the effort. You will need to educate them about the bill and what it is trying to do as well as what the political situation is: likely supporters and opponents. Legislators hate getting blind-sided from opponents you didn't know existed.

You will need to have to dialog with other industry and lobbying groups to make sure you minimize any opposition and maximize support: wholesalers, other on-premise and off-premise retailers, MADD, your state alcohol control board etc.

You will need to have some type of lobbying effort to convince legislators to vote to pass your bill, whether out of committee or chamber. Your sponsor will not do this on his/her own. Be aware of alienating either political party as if either legislative leadership opposes your bill it is likely going nowhere.

Also, some general comments about changing public policy via the Legislative process. It is a long term project, rather than one time push. It often takes several legislative sessions to accomplish a goal. You should be culturing long-term relationships with at least some legislators. The reality is that may inlcude some campaign contributions, volunteering, endorsements, hosting fund raisers, etc.

Also, as I often preach to my own state association members, it takes money. If you want to have a continued, effective presence at the legislature, your association should pony up the money and hire a professional lobbyist. They charge different amounts for their services: passing bills, defeating bills, monitoring, etc. You can successfully lobby on your own, but it will take time away from your business, which may not able to afford and your fellow members will probably not pay you for.

Anyway, there's my $.02. Hope it helps!

Comment

Originally posted by Beersmith

Anyway, there's my $.02. Hope it helps!
            Thank you,

It gives me a place to start and some idea of what Im up against!!

Comment

Working...
            X