post ferment wort

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• post ferment wort

Anybody ever add a little malt extract or wort to filtered beer to add residual sweetness or maltiness? Please, discuss pros, cons, etc.. This is not something I want to get into the habit of doing. I just need to make some "improvements" to a recent beer. Your thoughts?

malt extract

Iam using malt extract at the stage of boiling to increase the color of the beer to arround 2 EBC. ME is high on risk to atch contamination so better to add at boiling stage. How ever if you get contamination free certified extract can be added later at filteration. This is going to give as light difference taste to the beer of toffy or little of caramalize type.

cheers!

Comment

The malt extract will surly give you sweetness, but you need to disolve it in boiling water prior adding, as well for sterilization but then it will show some nice protein flakes (denaturation), which you certainly do not want in finished beer.

Wort, if unhopped is much better, it is clear, sterile, low in oxygen. If hopped remember that it will change you IBU of the beer.

Why not go for priming sugar? This is actually used in for example flavored beers to mellow in flavor and raise the level of sweetness.

Remember that with raising the amount of fermentable sugar in the final beer, the beer will lose on selectiv property against microbiological contamination and give more change for any MO to grow.
      Christoph

"How much beer is in German intelligence !" - Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Working...
      X