how do you store your hops?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do you store your hops?

i'm curious how people are storing their hops, after opening the vacuum, and if anyone has found a great method. i usually just keep them wrapped up with duct tape and in a freezer. i've heard of people storing them under CO2 pressure in cornelius kegs, etc.

any ideas?
    shaun e. hill

Unfortunately I don't have a walk in freezer at my disposal so after opening the bag I try to store them in a 4.5 gallon plastic bucket with air tight lid in a walk in refrigerator. This seems to work decently well, much easier for taking them out to measure them than in a corny keg.
    Cheers,
    Mike Roy
    Brewmaster
    Franklins Restaurant, Brewery & General Store
    5123 Baltimore Ave
    Hyattsville,MD 20781
    301-927-2740

Franklinsbrewery.com
    @franklinsbrwry
    facebook.com/franklinsbrewery

Comment

I store in walkin w/ serving tanks @ 38f.
      I have considered getting one of those vacume bag machines, like from Cabellas or (god forbid) QVC. I have one at home for my bambi meat and it did work w/ my test hop bag. Additionaly you could purge the bag with co2 before re-sealing. Putting them in pre-weighed bags, say 1 pound each might be cool too. For a brewpub, that is...
      Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
      tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
      "Your results may vary"

Comment

I currently store (and have always) all my hops in the cooler. I either leave them in their shiny bag or I put smaller amounts in oversized tupperware that seals. Oxidation of the pellets has never been much of an issue as I haven't keep great quantities on hand. That may all change with the new hop paradigm that seems to be shaping up.
        Prost!
        Dave
        Glacier Brewing Company
        406-883-2595
        info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

Working...
        X