malt in india

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• malt in india

setting up a few micros/brewpub in india and only have access to domestic generic mixed 6 row malt, of questionable quality and consistency. high import duty (65% + shipping/freight) makes foreign malt cost prohibitive. any suggestions? was thinking of just importing small quantity of specialty malts and using really good yeast and fermentation process to produce good products. what else could i do to make craft beer at international standards?
    ________
    Magic Flight Launch Box
    Last edited by india_cmb; 03-05-2011, 12:38 AM.

Intersting! Where are you planning to set up micro brew? Is India good enough for this type of business in current times?

Cheers!

Comment

Use a smaller amount of cheaper imported 6-row with a locally grown rice as an adjunct. Using local products is always a good marketing point. I've made beer with inferior local barley malt (or maybe barely malt), and the results are not a quality product. 65% import duty may be the price for good malt. Good luck!
      Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

6 row malt

yeah, what exactly was your problem using 6-row?
        were u able to get a decent extraction out of it?
        so ur not convinced with using 6 row as our base
        malt and using speciality malts as needed
        and using kick-ass yeast...?
        Tell me your experience pls..
        ________
        Buy Herbalaire Vaporizer
        Last edited by india_cmb; 03-05-2011, 12:38 AM.

Comment

Use sucrose and/or rice adjuncts, if importing expensive malt to drop the cost. I remember years ago the demand for alcohol free beer in India was very high, is that still the case? are you intending to export beer you make to the international market?

Comment

Originally posted by india_cmb
            yeah, what exactly was your problem using 6-row?
            were u able to get a decent extraction out of it?
            so ur not convinced with using 6 row as our base
            malt and using speciality malts as needed
            and using kick-ass yeast...?
            Tell me your experience pls..
            2-rowed barley tends to give a higher extract then 6-rowed which is probably what you are after, but 6-rows can have better enzyme activity. My preference is 2-rowed.

Comment

Malt in India and 2-row vs. 6-row

Unless you can access brewing quality malt locally your only option will be to buy more expensive malt from elsewhere. I'm not sure what you mean by "mixed 6-row" but if this was selected and malted for anything but brewing (like food application) then it will be unsuitable for brewing from a flavor and processing standpoint. I'm not familiar with the brewing landscape in India but if you can perhaps visit one of the larger breweries and find out where they get their malt that might be a good starting point.

As far as 2-row vs. 6-row you could use either and they will both make good beer. I would use 2-row as the cost difference will be negligible vs. the landed cost of the malt to you. 2-row has higher extract and less husk as a percentage of its weight so you will get nicer beer. The only time it makes sense to preferentially use 6-row is if you need the extra enzyme to convert adjuncts such as corn or rice. If you are using a corn or rice syrup this does not apply as it is already converted.

Regarding other ways to cut costs it is really going to depend upon what kind of beer you target customer wants to drink. I would agree completely that the use of adjuncts will cut costs but this is only a viable option if the resulting beer is what your customer will want to drink. Given the climate in India I suspect that a 20-30% adjunct ratio may be appropriate from a beer style perspective anyway.

Comment

Working...
              X