Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Palisade and Mt. Rainer Hops

Hi Fellow Brewers,
    We like to brew our Summer Seasonal IPA with hops that we have never used before. Isn't this what brewing is about?! That being said, what have you heard, experienced, liked or disliked about these two hop varieties (Palisade and/or Mt. Rainer Hops)! Thanks for all help and suggestions.

Please suggest other hop varieties that are not commonly used for an American IPA. In previous years we have used Simcoe, Horizon, and Glacier hop varieties.

Cheers,
    Travis Zeilstra
    Brewer
    Montana Brewing Co.

Hi Travis, I have never used either of these hops before, but I have been catching up on reading recently and the Winter 2007 issue of "Craft Beer Quarterly" has articles about both of these hops. I could fax or send you a copy if you don't have it...Cheers!

Paul
    Paul Thomas
    Brewer
    Sockeye Brewing
    www.sockeyebrew.com

Comment

just last night I tried Rogues IPA that has Mt. Rainer. It was the only hop used in it. I found it to be very nice. Slight floral/lemon character. I would recommed using. I plan on trying it out in the near future =)

Comment

anyone else have any info?

Paul,
        The CBQ is where I found out about these new hops. I have called Hopunion but they did not have alot of practical experience info. Thanks.

I will be in Missoula tomorrow for the Garden City Festival. Stop by and say Hi.

Buckley,
        Your tasting notes are helpful. thank you.

Cheers,
        Travis

Comment

I use Palisades and like them for their depth of flavor. That said, they lean more on the stinky, oniony side. I prefer them blended as i'd call them a bit too coarse for 100%. Others may disagree.

Comment

Oniony?

Originally posted by Moonlight
            That said, they lean more on the stinky, oniony side.
            Okay, so I'm not the only one with that impression that some of the US hops have those "qualities" !

Is it possible that the 2006 crop has been worst with this specific aroma for some reason? I find Columbus being horrible and even Amarillo seems to go along these lines as the oniony smell was absolutely absent last year.

Zb

Comment

Originally posted by Zucker Bee
              Okay, so I'm not the only one with that impression that some of the US hops have those "qualities" !

Is it possible that the 2006 crop has been worst with this specific aroma for some reason? I find Columbus being horrible and even Amarillo seems to go along these lines as the oniony smell was absolutely absent last year.

Zb
              I agree on the Columbus. I quit using them.
              Cheers & I'm out!
              David R. Pierce
              NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
              POB 343
              New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

Hello all,

Yes, please, no more Columbus, and no more Amarillo. At least for this year. Not only oniony, but also, some sort of butyl, almost burn rubber flavor as well. Almost scorched wort, but not exactly...If palisades are similar, I'd pass on those as well.

Aloha,
                Ron
                enjoyer of old school "mellow" hops

Comment

Originally posted by Greenbrewmonkey
                  some sort of butyl, almost burn rubber flavor as well. Almost scorched wort, but not exactly...

Maybe it has something to do with the fire at Hop Union

Zb

Comment

plastic smoked hops.... sounds yummy. could be a new market niche....lol. the rainer in my opinion are worth investigating. I have had a few others from local home brewers that were good. Always make friends with homebrewers so they can test out new ideas for you, if you don't have a smaller system =)

Comment

Working...
                    X