Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wild Rice Beer

HI Forum:

I'm planning on brewing a wild rice beer.
    Any recommendations, hints on brewing techniques,
    raw materials and your own experience?

Thanks in advance for your help

Fred

I've also been intrigued with wild rice--originally from the upper midwest, I love the stuff. Just a word of caution, it is not a true rice. I've brewed with many kinds of rice, but not "wild rice". There was a brewery in Canada that brewed a wild rice/maple syrup beer years ago. Don't have much more for you, but would love to hear how this endeavor works out.
    Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Originally posted by gitchegumee
      I've also been intrigued with wild rice--originally from the upper midwest, I love the stuff. Just a word of caution, it is not a true rice. I've brewed with many kinds of rice, but not "wild rice". There was a brewery in Canada that brewed a wild rice/maple syrup beer years ago. Don't have much more for you, but would love to hear how this endeavor works out.
      Isn't wild rice a version of grass seed like buckwheat?
      Cheers & I'm out!
      David R. Pierce
      NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
      POB 343
      New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

Yes, wild rice is a grass. And to be sure, expensive grass. I've just visited my bookcase: To quote Randy Mosher's excellent book "Radical Brewing", wild rice doesn't have lots of glucans or higher complex carbohydrates, so lautering shouldn't be a problem. Obviously, cook before mashing--and beware that it expands even more than white rice. He recommends its use in bitters and ESBs for a "subtle nuttiness". About 10% COOKED weight fraction to dry malt. Buy broken grains and crush them further. Personally, I'd stick to a lighter beer with a bit higher fraction wild rice to see what the wild rice's contribution to the flavor is first. Once you know that, then let your imagination run wild. Good luck Fred!
        Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Check with Grant Johnston of the Black Diamond brewery in California. He's made a nice one for years.

Comment

Working...
          X