Yeast Propogation Equipment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeast Propogation Equipment

I have a question for the kind posters and lurkers at Probrewer. I work in a smaller brewery (15 barrel batches in 30 barrel fermenters, brew on sucessive days) and we are thinking of creating our own yeast propogation system. We are currently thinking of going from homebrewer's yeast "smack packs" or vials, and so I am wondering if anyone else out there has done this? If you have done this what type of system you either developed or purchased? I know that a microscope will be essential for getting the correct pitchable yeast cell counts, and it is something that we will be purchasing.
    Dammy Olsson
    Quality Manager
    Wormtown Brewery
    Worcester, MA

1 White Labs vial into 2 litre flask, into 5 gallon carboy into 1 BBL of wort pumped off current brew, into 15 Bbl batch and on and on..voila! SABCO has converted kegs that work good for low tech propping, Beer Beer & More Beer has nicer and more expensive small temp controlled(or not) conicals and if you want to spend $5000 (ouch!) GW Kent has a great propogator. If you stay clean the flask to carboy to tank will work but you could save a lot of work by purchasing a 1 Bbl pitch and bumping it only once. You should run a cost/benefit analysis to see if its worth it in your case. I only do it for specials where I wont reuse the yeast more than once or twice. You can experiment cheaply this way.
    Big Willey
    "You are what you is." FZ

Comment

At one location, I used 5 different yeasts for 9 different beers. Although I did repitch often, the brewing logistics didn't allow for it most of the time. I'd always be propagating fresh yeast. I did the same as Big Willey, using Wyeast pitchable smacks to innoculate ~4 gallons of wort in a carboy, then stepping up to 1 hl in the cone of a fermenter using a lighter style to propagate two/three days later, then top off with 10 hl of fresh wort when that had a krauesen. Always had great fermentations. This was by no means ideal, but it did work well--and it was cheap! Good luck!
      Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Euipment

Thanks for all of the advice, what we are trying scaling up on flasks (up to 6 L flask or two) using a stir plate. We are experimenting with this now to see what we get and whether or not this is a viable process.
        Dammy Olsson
        Quality Manager
        Wormtown Brewery
        Worcester, MA

Comment

Working...
        X