Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lavender?

Hello all,

I am thinking about doing a lavender beer this summer but havn't found much info to go on, so I will put the question to you, the collective.

It seems I can get several types lavender in several forms. Fresh, dried buds, and extract. I would think dried buds would be the best for brewing. Fresh might be finicky and extracts always taste to processed or "fake". Anyone have any ideas?

Most resources claim English is superior to French? I'm not sure what the use of the lavender is in the articles claiming such however. Most seem to revovle around cooking or perfume/oil distillation. Is there much difference?

Anyone got some info on lavender? A good supplier?

Thanks,
    The REV

Check out this site

They are the largest lavender producer in Canada. I think they just do essential oils but may be a good place to start. Their website is quite informative.

I visited there once last summer. A truly heady experience.

You may want to think about 'dry hopping' with lavender after primary is complete. Lavender is quite fungicidal and our unicellular fungal buddies might not like that.

Pax.

Liam
    Liam McKenna
    www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

We use lavender flowers in our lemon lavender with ginger soda. We currently purchase these through Woodland Foods:

We explore the world for organic and specialty food ingredients to share with working chefs, home cooks and food manufacturers.

Comment

lavender

We've been doing a lavender beer since 1997. Awesome stuff but can get overpowering very quickly. As a pro brewer we use everconcievable form in our various beers. Natural extracts ( actuallu tinctures - alcohol based) to raw juice, to concentrates, to fresh, .... perhaps I could help.
        Bo BĂ©langer
        Head Brewer/ Owner
        South Shore Brewery
        808 West Main Street
        Ashland, WI 54086
        bo@southshorebrewery.com

Comment

a little goes the distance and more

Last year i used 4 oz dried lavender from BrewCraft USA in our Wassail (8 bbl)as the "dry hop" spice. Was in the beer at 50 F for 18 day before filtering (around 3 microns) and today (13 months later)still has a huge aroma and pleasant finish in the beer. Will most likely use it again in future batches. yummy
          Nicholas Campbell

Comment

A brewpub in Okemos, Michigan called Tuba Charlies made a lavender beer a few years back. You may want to track them down, they are still open to my knowledge.
            Jim Brown, Owner
            Happy Tappy Draft Beer Services
            3440 Win Kae Place
            Bay City, MI 48706
            989-233-2221

Comment

Originally posted by Frankentrostjim
              A brewpub in Okemos, Michigan called Tuba Charlies made a lavender beer a few years back.
              a.k.a.-The Traveler's Club or The Tuba Museum. I had this beer once, and it was pretty heavy on the lavander as I recall.

Comment

I use cheese cloth to put the lavender or any spice I want in post fermentation add that with vodka to a clean bucket and let it sit for a while. I then add the vodka with leeched spices (no spice wholes) to the bbt. no fuss no muss but you can taste it, you have to be carefull not to use too much.
                www.Lervig.no

Comment

Working...
                X