Kaffir Lime

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kaffir Lime

Does anyone have any experience using Kaffir lime? I am looking into using some in a beer, I have heard of people using the leaves. Do you just use leaves or can you use the zest? How much do you use? Where do I find it?

Any assistance is appreciated
    Jeff
    Jeff Byrne

hmm tom yum beer!

Well you can use the leaves and the zest, but I have only seen Kaffir limes outiside of asia very rarely. The leaves are available in the asian markets in seattle, frozen, fresh, and dried. Fresh is really the best choice, the frozen and dried just never seem to deliver enough flavor. I couldn't tell you how much to use as like hops it depends on the beer and your preference. It seems to appear in stores seasonally if my memory serves me right. I would go for adding the leaves in the secondary fermentor or adding to the kettle at the very end of the boil. Let me know how it goes, I have made a Kaffir Rye ale and Kaffir red ale, which I find quite tasty. I have to warn you though most people un-accustomed to kaffir lime (or Thai food for that matter) think that the beer tastes contaminated with dish soap or the like, didn't go over too well hahah! Maybe if ever brew up another batch of chili pepper beer we could exchange beers and have a Tom Yum beer tasting

Cheers,

Joe

Comment

Kaffir

I use these folks:

Generally I make an infusion by tearing the leaves into strips and placing them in boiling water, cool and add the liquid (only) to secondary. It's presence is notable but undetectable if I was to sum it up.

Comment

Kaffir Lime Leaves

Still have not found them locally, i am about to order them from a supplier via internet. I will yield about 11-12 bbl's on this beer and it will be a light American Wheat Ale with an O.G. of 12.5 P. I plan to add @ WP, so i can add more later if i need to. I am afraid to over do it, and the leaves are not cheap. Any recommendations on what to start off with?
        5oz
        1lb
        2lb

"why weigh on a sunny day"?
        Jeff Byrne
        Jeff Byrne

Comment

I would really like to know how this turns out. I have this and other citrus leaves that we cook with all the time. Thai Manao lime, Calamansi, as well as the ugly Kaffir. The flavor is great! Don't know how it would work in a beer, but I've been thinking about the leaves in a Witbier. Start with a light touch and go from there. Also use a hop back if you have one. Please let me know how this works for you! Cheers!
          Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

I added 1/2 lb in a hop sack to 10 bbl's for the last 5 min of boil. I would have to agree with Kenny when he said "It's presence is notable but undetectable if I was to sum it up." I just added another 1/2 lb in secondary which i think will be a nice touch. I did this at the same ratio to a 1/6 bbl keg 2 days ago and i like where its heading.

BTW I got the fresh leaves via Amazon.com from "TastePadThai". She said they are only picked when an order is made. I was very pleased, and they smell just like Fruity Pebbles.

mmm...fruity pebbles.
            Jeff Byrne
            Jeff Byrne

Comment

Thanks for the progress report! What kind of base beer did you use?
              Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

I used a pretty standard American Honey Wheat Ale as the base. I let my leaves sit in secondary for only about 3 days. Keep a close eye on it if you use this method, i could detect the flavor change almost hourly. It seems it would be pretty easy to over do it. So far nothing but positive comments from the servers and regulars, except those it's too light for.
                Jeff Byrne

Comment

I make a Kaffir IPA ( I was told by one investor that Kaffir has a negative connotation in some Asian cultures). Each leaf has 2 leaflets, we use 15 leaves/ bbl.. The taste is like an IPA, but the hop perception comes out as some strange Pacific coast hop you've never tasted before. Any Asian grocery store (sorry those down south) can special order them for you upon request. My wife works with citrus for the USDA so somehow we find leaves.

Long live the Tum Yum Maltose
                  fungus rules the earth

Comment

Working...
                  X