Fill line for glasswares

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fill line for glasswares

It's quite standard in the Continental Europe (particularly in Germany) that they use (drinking) glasses with marked fill-lines -- to note how much beer is being served and allow head space for a nice head.

But why isn't this used in the States?
    I have seen heated discussion on how much head on the pint... bigger head to save money for the bar, but too much head pisses off the customers... I have even been served a pint with "too much head" and the bartender gave me another tasting glass of beer...

Silly, isn't it?

Sure it's fine if we all just drink real ale with little carbonation... but wouldn't that just make life easier to have a fill line on the glass? we spend a lot of time in the brewery to ensure a good head, why not make sure there is room to showcase it?

what do you guys think?

We use British Crown Pint glasses in our tap room with a fill line etched in.
    Cheers & I'm out!
    David R. Pierce
    NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
    POB 343
    New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

my fav

My favorite story regarding this topic happened quite a few years back at the Mucky Ducky on Sanibel Island. I wanted to take home a souviner glass and I went up to the counter and asked for a "Mucky Duck Pint glass". The gal behind the counter looked up at me and said, "OK, do you want the 16 oz. or the 20 oz. pint glass?"

Comment

Actually, there is a 20 oz pint, the Imperial pint. The UK will have an etched line at 20 oz. The US at 16 oz. Both are pints in their respective countries. The UK went through a transition years back as they went from a glass without a line to a bigger glass with a line. That way, most customers don't feel cheated when they get a head on their beer. I've seen a few measured glasses in the US--from Rastal, I think. I agree that the US should adopt a measure, but then again we're talking about fine crystal beerware in Europe vs. cheap McGlasses in the US. I guess that the demand just isn't there.
        Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

I'm not sure

I'm not sure if SHE knew that back then, but I definately have learned something today.

I, too, agree that a system of sorts is useful. It would be easier for the consumer to compare price/drink size ratio. For the brewery or a pub the american way seems to be more lucrative - he can "play" with these two factors accordingly, without anyone really knowing if they're getting their money's worth or not.
          Last edited by einhorn; 06-13-2007, 09:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X