Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooperage question

Hello all,

I'm looking for any info/comments on how to predict the amount of kegs to purchase during production increases. Fully realizing there are several factors in determining cooperage needs, such as packaging keg/case ratio, distance of distribution, distributor rate of return and the occassional fallen soldier, does anyone have a general rule of thumb for determining keg needs?

I've heard you need at least 5 kegs for every single draught account as one guideline.

To go from a production standpoint though, how many kegs would one look for after a 1000 bbl. a year increase?

Is it more effective to chase kegs down and incentivize/punish distributors for returns? OR To accept return rates and buy more kegs as soon as the last empties in house are being filled?

Looking forward to your comments. Cheers!

Caleb Staton
    Head Brewer
    Upland Brewing Co.

Caleb,
    I figure three kegs per handle in our local market and five for out of state. We constantly chase ours kegs down and have a very good return rate. To determine keg purchases: examine your product line sales history, figure your breakdown keg vs. case, times the increase in production, then add an extra 50% minimum .

We are considering increasing our keg deposit $ as kegs are worth so much in scrap value.

Tell Aleleen (the one legged brewer) hello from Louisville!
    Last edited by beertje46; 06-22-2007, 12:59 PM.
    Cheers & I'm out!
    David R. Pierce
    NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
    POB 343
    New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

As Michigan went to $30 I say we make that nationwide!!
      Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
      tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
      "Your results may vary"

Comment

Just out of curiosity, what do you think of this thread in response to the expense of kegs?

—J.

Comment

Off the top of my head, the beauty of kegs is the no trash element.

However, a $100+ 1/6 bbl. keg sure makes the beer in a box look more appealing though. I could see this applicable for those high volume 1/6 bbl. accounts (you know the ones that built the bar without a big enough walk-in cooler). If the dispense equipment is economical and the draught quality unchanged, might be worth pursuing.

Comment

Originally posted by csquared
            Off the top of my head, the beauty of kegs is the no trash element.

However, a $100+ 1/6 bbl. keg sure makes the beer in a box look more appealing though. I could see this applicable for those high volume 1/6 bbl. accounts (you know the ones that built the bar without a big enough walk-in cooler). If the dispense equipment is economical and the draught quality unchanged, might be worth pursuing.

Yeah, I found it an intriguing possibility. I tried contacting them over in Germany to get more info, but haven't heard back yet. The no-trash thing is good, but could that be counterbalanced by the no-washing/no-loss thing? They'd also be less weight to transport and less volume (could freight more in one run presumably).

Comment

Working...
            X