pre-filled growlers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pre-filled growlers?

I've seen several brewers distributing pre-filled growlers and wondered how they filled them and what they considered the shelf life? I've seen on brewer mark best by 3months.

Thanks

Pre-filled growlers

I only pre-fill growlers at a brewpub when I expect large sales (15+ in one day). For example, around Christmas. Or a special promotion during Father's Day. Otherwise, fresh fresh fresh - off the taps!

Comment

Before doing anything with a pre-filled growler, it would be wise to check with the TTB. I believe they consider pre-filled growlers to be packages, and you therefore must have label approval for that specific package.

Comment

What about adapting a counter-pressure filler to fit a growler? Use brown growlers, keep cold, and away from light. I would think it would last just as long as a regular bottle.
        Jeff
        Jeff Byrne

Comment

that's the way I have done it. Lasts way longer than filling from the tap
          I have yet to do any real shelf life tests on it seeing as they are filled in short runs because I'd rather them counter pressure filled by me than a busy bartender.

Comment

I know of a couple of breweries that have used a CP filler to fill growlers for off-premise sales. Both of them warned emphatically to build some kind of protection around the filler because you will get exploding growlers, just like on a regular bottle filler, only with a lot more explosive force and more glass.
            Linus Hall
            Yazoo Brewing
            Nashville, TN
            www.yazoobrew.com

Comment

I have had a few 1 liters blow up while using a CP filler by hand. Didn't get hurt but almost pissed my pants. definitely protect yourself and employees from the flying glass

Comment

Originally posted by lhall
                I know of a couple of breweries that have used a CP filler to fill growlers for off-premise sales. Both of them warned emphatically to build some kind of protection around the filler because you will get exploding growlers, just like on a regular bottle filler, only with a lot more explosive force and more glass.

Any idea what they were pressurizing their growlers to? Seems that you could get away with only pressurizing to about 10 PSI before you fill and be okay. Are there growlers out there that are that shoddily constructed?
                BrewerTL

Comment

much like a bottling line it isn't always about the psi as much as sometimes the bottle has a flaw that decides to quit. Even at low psi

Comment

Working...
                  X