Belgian Candi Syrup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Belgian Candi Syrup

I've been using belgian candi sugar in my belgian ales for a while now, but my new supplier is basically just giving me rock candy. Since I'm looking for something more authentic I've found a supplier who can get me Belgian Candi Syrup. Is anyone out there using this? Can anyone give me an idea what I can expect? Is there a flavor contribution at all, or should I just switch to using sucrose? What sort of usage rates should I be looking at?

Any info on Candi Syrup at all would be much appreciated.

cheers and a Happy 4th!
    Hutch Kugeman
    Head Brewer
    Brooklyn Brewery at the Culinary Institute of America
    Hyde Park, NY

I make my own belgian-style candi syrup using high fructose corn sugar which I get for free from a local trucking carrier company. I add an acid and heat until the invert sugar is the appropriate color and flavor I want. I have use "belgian rock candy" in the past but it is very expensive. OK for an occasional batch but not a real good deal for anything mass produced IMHO.

Comment

Valleybrew wrote: I make my own belgian-style candi syrup using high fructose corn sugar which I get for free from a local trucking carrier company. I add an acid and heat until the invert sugar is the appropriate color and flavor I want
      I do the same thing. The only difference is I use table sugar to turn into Invert. What kinds of acid do you use. I have had pretty good success using white wine vinegar and lemon juice depending on the flavor profile of the final beer.

The only thing I am kind of leery of is the color/flavor. Do you do your's by time, temp, or just strictly color?

Thanks

John

Comment

Do you guys notice any flavor contributions from making your own candi sugar vs. commercially purchased rock candi or table sugar?
        Hutch Kugeman
        Head Brewer
        Hyde Park, NY

Comment

most definitely. Depending on the level of caramalization you get it imparts a great flavor. Even if you are going for just clear candi it gives you a bit of flavor

Comment

I use a acid phosphate (actually a yeast energizer blend). As I cook it, I pull droplet samples and let them cool on Aluminum foil and taste. My batch size is around 100 pounds in a big pot over a turkey fryer burner. The conversion to darker and tastier levels is fairly slow and controlled. If you make smaller batch sizes be very careful. The batch will go from the most excellent cotton candy aroma/flavor to a black burnt mess in minutes. The final stop point is currently strictly by taste and smell. Not very scientific but it works great for me. I picked up most of the "how to" in the book "Brew Like A Monk". A most excellent resource.

Originally posted by nwcw2001
            I do the same thing. The only difference is I use table sugar to turn into Invert. What kinds of acid do you use. I have had pretty good success using white wine vinegar and lemon juice depending on the flavor profile of the final beer.

The only thing I am kind of leery of is the color/flavor. Do you do your's by time, temp, or just strictly color?

Thanks

John

Comment

roll ur own

though you might find the link above useful

Comment

Hey Hutch!

Hey Man,

how have you been? Thought of you this week as I was in NH climbing in the Whites. We use both the rock sugar and the dark syrup. the Dark rock is a bit different than the syrup, but i like both a ton. Use the syrup in smaller amounts than you would the rock or it'll get rummy. We quit using the light rock and now just use bags of Sysco cane suger...I can't taste the difference at all. North Country supplies all of the stuff so give Patrick lazelle a call and ask him for samples and he'll send you a bit of all of it (I am chewing on mine right now!)

See you in Denver my friend!
                Larry Horwitz

Comment

Thanks Larry, always to good to hear from you. Are you going to Ommegang this year? If so, see you there!
                  Hutch Kugeman
                  Head Brewer
                  Hyde Park, NY

Comment

Whenever I do this I do something we do in the kitchen (chef) when making caramel sauce add liquid. I SLOWLY add water to the hot sugar and add it until stops sputtering at me so I have a syrup.

WARNING: IF YOU ARE GOING TO DO THIS BE VERY VERY CAREFUL AND DO A SMALL BATCH FIRST TO SEE THE REACTION. THIS WILL BURN YOU WORSE THAN ANY THING ELSE. HOT SUGAR IS LIKE NAPALM. IT STICKS AND KEEPS BURNING.

It will take off layers of flesh. And the steam coming off of the sugar when you add water burns like a sum-na-bith too!

John

Comment

Ommygod Ommegang!

yeah Dude,

I am totally fired up for Cooperstown. I've got beers so sour they'll rip your tounge off!

rock on.
                      Larry Horwitz

Comment

Dark Candi Syrup

I have used both the amber rocks and the Dark Candi Syrup. I agree with Larry in that above ~7%, the dark syrup lends a cloying rumminess, but also intense caramel and even roasty flavors. The amber rocks don't lend nearly as much to the final flavor profile, they don't lend color, and they're expensive. The dark syrup is expensive too, but it definitely adds a unique character you can't obtain with other sugars. Keep it 5% or lower and I think you'll enjoy the results.

Jamie Fulton

"Beer for the Greater Good"

Comment

Working...
                        X