Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Build-out costs for brewpub prep kitchens?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Build-out costs for brewpub prep kitchens?

Anyone shift from MicroBrewery/draft sales/tasting room to Micro/Brewpub and start serving food? Nothing crazy like a bacon wrapped filet mignon but small like pizza, salads, appetizers... What considerations for build-out costs? Seating,prep kitchen, etc.. 3000+ sqft total on main floor for brewery and then restaurant), could become a great lunch/dinner destination or a hellish ride into restauranting-. I'm thinking Hellish ride myself but would like to hear if anyone has successfully pulled it off...

Cheers!

Depends on you menu

If you want a full blown menu you are in for a ride...hoods, walk in coolers, prep stations etc. All cost a bunch of $. But if you do it right you can really increase you sales and profits. There are a couple brewpubs Ive been to that kind of take middle ground. One serves sandwiches and rice bowls...no hood or walk in needed. My favorite has an outdoor area with a big ass charcol grill and a couple huge picnic coolers. You order a burger or sausage at the bar they run out and cook it for you. Depending on your local codes you could get away without a hood if you use electric appliances.
    You can do seating for cheap, just look on craigs list. You can find 5 piece oak dining sets for under $200. I guess it depends on what you want your style to be.

Comment

very limited menu...

Nick,

The city revised codes to allow for sidewalk seating and consumption of alcohol and there would be plenty of inside seating if I went that route. I like the idea of the tiny kitchen. I'll be asking more questions when I have another meeting with the city folk. I'm checking utility availability (water pressure, gas, electricity and sewer location since I'm gonna have to cut in and place trench drains) I agree and think the food aspect would increase sales and the city looks favorably on it since they see it as a nice draw. It may be a harder sell if I just say "No, it's a brewery with onsite tasting room" and they figure it's just a bar by another name... Once I find out codewise what I could get away with, may be a viable option...

Cheers!

Comment

Up here in Montana, there is a great microbrewery called the Bitterroot Brewing Company in Hamilton, Montana with a small kitchen in their tasting room. You want to talk to Tim. They have (apparently) successfully added this brewer's grill to their operation. www.bitterrootbrewing.com.

Prost!
        Dave
        Glacier Brewing Company
        406-883-2595
        info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

Nice!

Wow, that is a really small footprint for a grill...I like it! I may have to give Tim a call! Thanks Dave for the heads up!

Cheers!

Comment

I can't give you numbers because I don't know your menu style, level of finish, square footage, and geographic location.

Running a restaurant is a totally different business than running a brewery. Totally. Completely. I want you to be successful, and to not repeat other breweries' mistakes.

If you are really interested in adding a kitchen and guest seating, find yourself a Chef and/or a Restaurant Manager. At the least, use a restaurant consultant for a month or two to help you avoid pitfalls. Read a few books on opening up your own restaurant.

Cheers,
            --Jake

Comment

Very prudent warnings!

Jake,

I couldn't agree more with what you are saying. I'm a beer guy and that is what I know, restaraunt not so much. Ideally I could get a partner to handle the food aspect and I can concentrate on what I know. I'm thinking on starting a blog on the project and post a lot of what transpires from start to opening and beyond. Spoke with most of my industry buddies in CA about it, including the fact I'm still in the middle of "Bud Country" Yikes! Anyways, I'll get an idea of what that would take down the road, but I would like to open the doors sooner and give these guys something better to drink!

Cheers!

Comment

Working...
              X