PDA

View Full Version : GABF Kegs from Microstar

Moadeeb
09-06-2007, 09:13 AM
I was just curious what the cleaning regiment for the Kegs supplied by microstar is for you brewers who have dealt with them before. This is our first year at the GABF and I didn't know if they are cleaned prior to shipping and could just use a good sanitizing or if they needed the full monty. We clean and fill all kegs by hand so any info would be appreciated.

beertje46
09-06-2007, 09:30 AM
We put ours on the IDD Mini-King II and push start. :)

BMOOR
09-06-2007, 12:05 PM
Mine look new, and probably are, but I am confident they said to clean them first. Even if they were clean, I wouldn't dream of just sanitizing and filling. I know we are not judged off this, but I paid 1200 for eight beers and I at least want happy fest goers if I get shut out of the medals.

Although manual cleaning sucks, do it anyway.

lhall
09-06-2007, 12:30 PM
Microstar...cleaning...kegs...before...shipping... them...to...you...rolling...on..the..floor..laughi ng

You'll get kegs from whatever distributor is closest to you, and they probably sat out in the sun at the distributor for a while before you got them. You will definitely want to clean them.

beertje46
09-06-2007, 12:50 PM
Ours look brand new as well. They will receive the full clean/sani cycle prior to filling.

I'm with you Linus ROFL.

GlacierBrewing
09-06-2007, 01:04 PM
If you're getting kegs from Microstar that look new, they probably are. Even then, new kegs need to be cleaned, too. Every shipment we ever received not only were the keg stinking dirty, sometimes they were full of rotten/infected beer!
Luck to ya'
Dave

Jephro
09-06-2007, 01:22 PM
If they look new, it may not be a bad idea to passivate them, but i guess maybe i just like to sleep well.

lhall
09-06-2007, 04:57 PM
My favorites are the cider kegs that have been sitting out in the 100 F heat for three months. Like a stink bomb going off in the drains.

Moadeeb
09-06-2007, 09:20 PM
I get it I get it. Simple question because I have never dealt with microstar or anyone like them for that matter. I use caustic and acid on our kegs. I wasn't sure if keg suppliers like microstar cleaned them prior to shipping. Thank you for the useful info though.