Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oat malt

Hello all,

I am currently formulating a recipe for an Oatmeal Stout. I came across oat malt from Thomas Fawcett and Sons and was curious to know peoples opinions. Would it provide the same silky, smoothness that regular rolled oats would? Or does it just provide more body like Caramel Pils. Thanks.

-Tom
    Tom Knight
    Nashoba Valley Brewery

Short shelf life

Oat malt has a very short shelf life. Over 90 days old it is prone to rancidity due to it's high oil content. In many cases it may be close to going bad before you ever buy it. Check with your supplier prior to purchasing.

Tash

Comment

we use it in our oatmeal stout

it just looks very similar to rolled oats..

really nice though, the malted ones apparently help stopping the congealing that oats can do, and ive not had any problems with stuck mash through brewing it (though id imagine normal oats would do)
      GeorgeJ
      Head Brewer - TDM 1874 Brewery.
      Yokohama, Japan.

Comment

Thanks for the points guys. I brewed with it last week and it turned out great. I used it as 10% of the grist and had no problems with the lauter. I may consider experimenting with rolled or flaked oats next time just to see if there is any dramatic difference, but so far I like it. Thanks.
        Tom Knight
        Nashoba Valley Brewery

Comment

malted oats

I actually just brewed a stout using malted oats on Saturday. Only problem i had was with milling, fortunately i checked my grist just as the oats were going through. Had to tighten it up a bit for the malted oats, they seem to be a bit longer and more narrow that your average piece of barley.
          Jeff Byrne

Comment

Working...
          X