Liquid Color Additive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Liquid Color Additive?

does anyone know of a liquid malt product that is used to replace crystal malts for coloring? (not extract)

just overheard someone talking about such a product and wanted to do some research and/or experimenting with it.

tanks!

Weyermann Sinamar

Weyermann makes a product called Sinamar. http://www.weyermann.de/eng/produkte...e=37&sprache=2

I have used it to darken some lighter than expected beers in the past, in small doses it will not change the flavor profile. Even in large doses, i'm not sure that you would be able to taste any difference in a blind tasting.
    Jeff Byrne

Comment

The Product Is called Sinamar and Crosby Baker Carries it

Laughing Dog

Comment

Here's another possibilty: http://www.caramel.com/a-189-623-Bev...Tech-Tips.aspx

I believe these are wheat-derived caramels but I don't know for certain. I have a sample of the darkest and at 44,000 SRM it doesn't take much. You should know that there is a flavour impact associated.

Cheers

Comment

In UK brewing at least as well as 'brewers caramel' (aka 'positive caramel' / European food additive 'E150' - with IIRC some cancer-scare stories attached?) there's also Roast Barley Extract, which seems less problematic - i.e. it's made from a more normal-sounding brewing ingredient!

There's a light version, which might seem a bit odd, but it's light in roast flavour, not colour.

When I worked at a UK regional a good few years back one of my less 'craft' jobs was checking the colours & adding the required amount of 'RBx' (made by Muntons or Edme I think? - I forget)

I'd recommend at least doing some (mls in a pint glass of beer type) tests, as previously mentioned - a little goes a long way.

I was told that the German 'farberbier' (colour-beer?) was OK to use in accordance with the reinheitsgebot because it is made from malted barley (not roast barley) & is partially fermented so counts as beer - hmmm, still sounds like a serious bit of rule-bending to me
          cheers
          MikeMcG

Comment

There is / was a company in the UK producing malt extracts, marketed under thename Pure Malt Products. I am sure it is still available. I used it a few years ago, to add colour without the excess caramel flavour that you get from caramel, and it will undoubtedly comply with Reinheitsgebot if you need it to. It does'nt add sweetness either. Standardised colour / unit volume, so accurate dosing was easy as well.

I expect this is basically the same as Sinimar
            dick

Comment

Hi again Dick,
              seems Pure Malt are still about (I don't think I've used them though). They have a wee website -
              advertising 'Farbebiers' & 'Brand Makers' both link to the same page, which is all about the colour & flavour additives they make. They have an excellent(!) schematic showing a pale beer being transformed into a 'crystal malt beer' & a 'roast malt beer'. Ain't brewing easy!
              cheers
              MikeMcG

Comment

oops, I meant to c&p the website, like this - http://www.puremalt.com/
                MikeMcG

Comment

anyone wanna do some math?

got some sinamar color additive and i want to to darken my 6 bbl. batch that is 6 SRM beer up to 9 SRM.

the sinamar label says that 14 grams will raise 1hL of beer 1 EBC.

if my conversions are right 1 EBC = 1.97 X SRM and 1 hL=100 L=.85 bbl

i keep on doing the math and getting different answers. i'm not sure what i am doing wrong. it would be much appreciated if someone has the time to do this problem and post your answer so i could compare. i might use this stuff in the future and would like to know what i am doing wrong.

thanks

Comment

Make it easy on yourself and pull off a 1/6 bbl, a corny, even a growlers worth and slowly add a measured amount until you get your desired results. Step that amount up to your 6 bbl.
                    Jeff Byrne

Comment

when is the best time to add sinamar color additive, in fermenter or serving tank?

my beer is done fermenting and is a day or two away from being filtered.

will the filter strip any of the color? (2.5 micron pads)

Comment

Working...
                      X