Rootbeer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rootbeer

Any one have a good root beer recipe or have a good supplier of soda products, not sure if we should make it from all ingredients or do most of you use the extract or syrups. Would like to services local acco0unts that have asked for a soda product.

Thanks
    Dan

Originally posted by cortlandbrewNY
    Any one have a good root beer recipe or have a good supplier of soda products, not sure if we should make it from all ingredients or do most of you use the extract or syrups. Would like to services local acco0unts that have asked for a soda product.

Thanks
    Dan
    I made rootbeer for years when I was a pub brewer. I used two different RB extracts, white & brown sugars, local wild flower honey and pure vanilla extract. PM me for info.

Edited to ad:
    Thanks to those that just jammed my PM inbox . I should have stated upfront that I am not offering a free formula. This is a time honored, fully developed production formula.

If you want to start from scratch try:NorthWestern Extract
    Last edited by beertje46; 09-30-2007, 06:27 PM.
    Cheers & I'm out!
    David R. Pierce
    NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
    POB 343
    New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

LMAO,
      the folks at Northwestern are very very helpful I might add =)

Comment

Originally posted by Buckley
        LMAO,
        the folks at Northwestern are very very helpful I might add =)
        You are correct. If you want a stock, off the rack, one dimensional soda they're your guys!
        Cheers & I'm out!
        David R. Pierce
        POB 343
        New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

their product is good for a base. just like most things. Of course you should tweak to preference. experiment with different sweeteners, adding other flavors...who just wants plain old root beer??? who gets a bottle of BBQ sauce and leaves it at that....that's not fun!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Buckley
            their product is good for a base. just like most things. Of course you should tweak to preference. experiment with different sweeteners, adding other flavors...who just wants plain old root beer??? who gets a bottle of BBQ sauce and leaves it at that....that's not fun!!!!
            I use their extracts and crowns. I've done biz with NW for 12 or so years...
            Cheers & I'm out!
            David R. Pierce
            POB 343
            New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

Get them to send you all their root beer samples and try different blends to get a more interesting and unique product. Adding vanilla or honey as was suggested will give you some nuance and depth as well. From scratch (raw herbs) is difficult IMHO.
              Big Willey
              "You are what you is." FZ

Comment

Root Beer

It has been a few years since I made root beer and I have a good idea what I want to use in the recipe but can't remember how much sugar I used in a 5 gallon batch. Anyone have any suggestions?
                Danny McGovern
                Brewer
                Monhegan Brewing Co.
                Monhegan Island, ME. USA

Comment

thick head on root beer (or any soda)??

anyone has any tip on how to make a root beer with lasting head?
                  I think the visual difference really makes it all that much more attractive.

gelatin?

Comment

Originally posted by jarviw
                    anyone has any tip on how to make a root beer with lasting head?
                    I think the visual difference really makes it all that much more attractive.

gelatin?
                    NW Extract sells Sparkling Foam Enhancer for just that purpose.
                    Cheers & I'm out!
                    David R. Pierce
                    POB 343
                    New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

anyone care to share the specific gravity of their root beers....
                      i tested coca cola and i think it was around 11.5P.

trying to get an idea of how much sugar to use.
                      5 bbl. batch, northwestern extract with a little vanilla added.

thanks

Comment

For a 5 barrel batch I'd use 150 lbs of sugar. That's about what I use for mine and it's pretty popular...
                        Hutch Kugeman
                        Head Brewer
                        Brooklyn Brewery at the Culinary Institute of America
                        Hyde Park, NY

Comment

second that. 150-175 seems right. kids like crack.....i mean rootbeer =)

Comment

We make one from scratch using wintergreen (expensive, somehow rare stuff), sassafrass (illegal in the US), licorice bark, sarsparilla, vanilla beans, LME, crystal malts and raw sugar. If you wna the recipe, I can check in my notes

Comment

Originally posted by Zucker Bee
                              We make one from scratch using wintergreen (expensive, somehow rare stuff), sassafrass (illegal in the US), licorice bark, sarsparilla, vanilla beans, LME, crystal malts and raw sugar. If you wna the recipe, I can check in my notes
                              For what it's worth, sassafrass is not allowed for internal use in the US because it was causing spontaneous abortions in women. Might not be good for you customer base!
                              prost!
                              Dave
                              Glacier Brewing Company
                              406-883-2595
                              info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

Working...
                              X