Chiller sizing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chiller sizing

I'm trying to determine what size chiller I'm going to need for a very small brewery. The brew tanks are 2BBL and I want to size the chiller for 2 single wall fermenters (probably only brewing with ale yeast though) and 1 insulated bright tank. I was planning on using ramco temp controllers and pumps for each tank. I'm not sure how many BTUs or HP I would need for this. Does anyone know of an easy to way to calculate this? Thanks!
    - Gilligan

Hello Gilligan,

What I try to do is come up with an average/high load condition. For example it might be that you will have 1 of the fermenters in active fermentation, the other crash cooling from 70 to 36 in 24 hrs, and your Brite tank holding at 36. I have formulas we've developed over the years to come up with a BTU load. I'd be happy to run the above scenario and let you know what I come up with. I can tell you it will be a very small system, likely a 1 to 2 Hp, but let me run the numbers and see what we come up with.

Thanks,
    Jim
    Pro Refrigeration Inc.

Comment

estimated load approx 2,000 BTU

Hi Gilligan. Using the load scenario in my previous post, I estimate a load of just under 2,000 BTU/HR- very small, in fact smaller than any system we build (we have built 2 HP systems with capacities in the 12,000-15,000 BTU/HR range). I think I'd probably recommend looking at a tap-line chiller for this duty.

If you have any questions, please contact me. Good Luck.

Thanks,

Jim

Comment

Working...
      X