Hello, Beuler? HOP OILS...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello, Beuler? HOP OILS...

Anyone have any experience brewing with hop oils?
    Glacier Brewing Company
    406-883-2595
    info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

I have used them in the past, in place of dry hopping.

Comment

how about wet hopping?
      Glacier Brewing Company
      406-883-2595
      info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

Oils versus Extracts

Maybe first we should know what you trying to get from the oils?? Are you looking for bitterness or aroma?

From what i understand Whole Hop Oils are basically the essential oils extracted from the hops via vacuum distillation. You will get the aromatic properties of that particular type of hops, and none of the bitterness.

Co2 Hop Extracts are virtually the opposite and used primarily for their bittering properties.
        Jeff Byrne

Comment

Ive used them

I used them for about a year. They definitely add a distinct character. And you dont need much..I used approx 3 mg. for a 15 BBL batch. I'd first shake up the 3 mg with 15 mg. vodka in a test tube; then I'd add it to the secondary along with finings during a transfer.

Personally, I dont like the character as much as hop flowers. It tastes.hmmm how to describe, 'processed'.

The upside is they are easy to store, and you dont have to worry about vegetative haze or grassy flavors from dry-hopping too long.
          Last edited by Triose; 11-02-2007, 12:18 PM.

Comment

I would agree with Tomas. They have an artificial processed profile. I see them beneficial as adjustment for aroma but shouldn't be used in high concentrations unless an artificial aroma characteristic is not concerning.
            Mike Jordan
            Brewmaster
            Boxing Cat Brewery
            Shanghai, P.R. China
            michael@boxingcatbrewery.com

Comment

Working...
            X