Source for Fermentis yeast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Source for Fermentis yeast

Is there any other supplier for Fermentis dry yeast besides Crosby and Baker?

fermentis

Just out of interest, what do you pay for 500g T58?

thx

Comment

Fermentap has some but is more expensive.

Comment

how come you posted this here & not on the Yeast Q&A forum?

(& yes I am being mildly mischievous, as I was in my recent post to that forum)
        cheers
        Mike.

Comment

For the 500g packets, Crosby and Baker is the only supplier I know of, although I have not explored for another supplier. On the Fermentis website, they only list crosby and baker as their Craft brew US supplier. Maybe try to get in touch with them if you can to find out for sure.

Completely off topic, but Fermentis' website doesn't list the new wheat beer yeast (Safbrew or Safale W-06), but Crosby's website does. I got a 500g packet and am fermenting a Dunkelweizen with it right now. Pleasant Bananna and Clove, but it has been fermenting around 61. Seems to be a bit more tame than some of the liquid strains out there. But that could just be the temp.

Cheers!
          Tom Knight
          Nashoba Valley Brewery

Comment

I felt the same way about that yeast. I bumped up my ferm temp to 72 and am much more pleased with it. It leans more towards to clove side.( I believe.)

Comment

The question I have been wanting to ask, and I assume others have as well, is "why not Crosby and Baker?" Is that something that can be answered without causing a problem?

BTW I have had fantastic luck with the S-04 ale yeast and the S-23 lager. In fact, I CHOSE them over all the other options.. being dry and easy to use was just a bonus.

Comment

Originally posted by tnknight
                Completely off topic, but Fermentis' website doesn't list the new wheat beer yeast (Safbrew or Safale W-06), but Crosby's website does. I got a 500g packet and am fermenting a Dunkelweizen with it right now. Pleasant Bananna and Clove, but it has been fermenting around 61. Seems to be a bit more tame than some of the liquid strains out there. But that could just be the temp.

Cheers!
                I picked up some of that new wheat yeast and was thinking of doing a wisenbock with it in the coming weeks. When you say you're geting banana from it at 61, just how much are you talking? I was under the impression that at under 65, the banana esters would be mostly under wraps, as I didn't want it as a big part of the aroma profile.

I'm thinking about adding some lager krausen and letting it condition at around 40 for a few weeks to finish.
                www.devilcraft.jp
                www.japanbeertimes.com

Comment

The bananna notes are minimal. The yeast took off at 65F, but due to the cold it is finishing its fermentation at 61. I am brewing a Dunkelweizen right now, so I have a lot of malt aroma coming through in the nose as well. As will all fermentis yeast, they provide the temp range and this was 59-75F. I would bet that you would be correct to ferment this yeast at 65F, especially with a bigger gravity and darker malt nose. I like that the bananna and clove are not overpowering and fermenting at 61 seems to have kept things in balance for my Dunkelweizen.
                  Tom Knight
                  Nashoba Valley Brewery

Comment

Sorry Jason, I missed that you were trying to limit the amount of bananna and clove. Definetley at 61 in a Weizenbock this yeast would produce minimal ester notes. It has done so with my Dunkelweizen. All in balance for a tasty brew. Hope this helps. Cheers!
                    Tom Knight
                    Nashoba Valley Brewery

Comment

Thanks! I'm finalizing my grain bill on it now, I'll let you know how it turns out!

www.devilcraft.jp
                      www.japanbeertimes.com

Comment

Working...
                      X