Poly Propylene pipe for Glycol lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poly Propylene pipe for Glycol lines

Has anyone used Polypropylene piping (schedule 80) for glycol lines? It's cheaper than ABS and seems to have the appropriate thermal properties and pressure requirements....I just looked up a Y-strainer that was referenced in a previous thread and it's made of Poly-pro as well. Any reasons why it's not a good choice?
    thanks
    Kevin

Sch. 80 PVC

I put it in my brewery and it seems to be fine. The brewery that I removed the tanks from were using Sch. 40. I put it in the rafters of my building a welded T supports hanging down every 6 to 8 feet . Used pipe size from 1 1/2" to 3/4". Worked in breweries that still have Sch.40 and have lasted for 13 years! We even reinsulated one place and had to pull the pipe off the wall to slide insulation around the pipe, and nothing broke! I did notice were the clamps were there was some saddle sores but the glycol stade put. If you can afford ABS then thats probly a better choice or copper but if your like most of us (poor brewers) save the money for better equipment. Hope this helps.
    COAST Brewing Company

Comment

We have used thermally welded polypro pipe on an install with no problems - that particular one was in China. Locally (Australia) we frequently use a python to feed and return glycol leaving one pair in a loop, to maintain some overall cooling within the python run. Again the tubing in the python is polypropylene.

Wes

Comment

Working...
      X