EKG prices these days?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EKG prices these days?

Just wondering what any of you have paid for East Kent Goldings (UK, not US) recently...

We just bought 5 kilos of EKG and paid 13,000 yen, which is the most we've paid so far during this shortage (About $120 us, so close to $10 a pound)

Is this a raw deal or a steal? Just curious
    www.devilcraft.jp
    www.japanbeertimes.com

Pulling our legs

Hi Black Ninja,
    Are you pulling our legs or trying to be funny? I paid $20/lb for Columbus and I am a happy camper. Maybe I should be buying my hops in Japan
    Cheers

Comment

hop prices

Well i just paid $35 pound for cascades and prob will pay that again if i can find them.

Cheers,

Doug

Comment

C hops I can understand going for that, but low alpha EKG from 2006? I was a little surprised as it was a three time increase, and double our last order a few months ago...but I suppose from your reaction you must be worse off...
        www.devilcraft.jp
        www.japanbeertimes.com

Comment

Have something else there?

How much you pay these days for Chech SAAZ or Polish Lublin in Japan. These are also low alpha. Maybe you can ship some my way.
          Cheers,

Comment

We're getting NZ Saaz these days, little bit of a spicy-bitter note on the finish compared to CZ, but they work ok in our lager...I'd have to check prices though, we haven't ordered them for 3 months now...
            www.devilcraft.jp
            www.japanbeertimes.com

Comment

Hello Jason,

I'll be paying around $20 USD / lb for UK fuggles next year.

Who do you buy the NZ hops from? I would be interested in the Saaz, and I am trying source some organic hops. I am having a little trouble finding them stateside.

Thanks,
              cheers,
              Ron
              Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales

Comment

Jason, I think UK Kents at that price are a deal considering the situation. We just paid $22 per pound for 2007 crop.

Comment

On a somewhat related note.....just got a shipment of raw hops from Hop Union. (Yes, they are supplying to the little guys) and recieved US Saaz with an AA of 7%! (Czech were long gone)
                  Has anyone seen this before?
                  I'm going to have to seriously retool my recipes.

Bob
                  Saint Somewhere Brewing

Comment

Maybe a new hop

I had US SAAZ before and they were not near with the aroma to the real thing. AA was much closer, they were 4.6-5 %. If the AA are so much different I just wander how much different is the aroma now, maybe they do not even remotely reassemble SAAZ. From my experience if there is a crop that is gaining drastically in % AA, it loose drastically in aroma. I noticed it especially in Noble Aroma Varieties. Let us know how they worked for you in you beer. What style are you going to brew with it?

Cheers, Mark

Comment

PM Sent to you Ron!
                      www.devilcraft.jp
                      www.japanbeertimes.com

Comment

re hop stocks, prices etc, we (very small scale contracting brewing co., soon to be small-ish micro) tried to get hold of some UK EKGs & were told that there aren't any! US hop prices have gone nuts over here too (incl a few no-stocks I think incl cascades).

Re differences in hop character with the same variety grown in different countries/locations - I tried some UK cascades that were fine (nice enough flavour) but not super-hoppy like good US cascades are. Anyone had much experience of the Argentinian Cascades? I tried some absolutely great Belgian-grown Fuggles, 1st Gold & Goldings (some organic) a few years back.

There's also that weird situation of NZ hops being genetically different (triploid rather than diploid? - & therefore I would guess different flavour & certainly much higher AAs) than their more traditional equivalent - Saaz, Hallertauer, etc

A quick google seems to suggest that NZ hop researchers/growers/merchants are moving towards new indigenous names for some of these hybrid triploid hops - Riwaka & Motueka instead of D. & B. Saaz & "Pacific Hallertau"
                        cheers
                        MikeMcG

Comment

Working...
                        X