Out of the way accounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Out of the way accounts

Whats the best way to make contact with out of the way accounts for the first time. I've got a list of places that are spread out over dozens of miles and don't want to wasted days trying to contact potential accounts. Phone call? mailer? both? or just bite the bullet and pray that someone is there worth talking too.

According to statistics, if you send a mailing prior to visiting the customer, your chances are increased a threefold of acquiring the customer.

Don't think of it as lost time, even if (supposedly) the decision maker is not there. Maybe you talked to an employee or the wife of the owner who will indirectly increase or decrease your chances of finding a new account by influencing the decision maker.

Comment

Speaking as a person who (outside the brewing industry until I open my brewpub) deals with salespeople all the time, send a mailer or email two weeks ahead of time giving an overview of your product, how it is different from the competition, and mentioning that you'll be in the area on [date] and will stop in to meet with them to discuss how you can help each other maximize sales. Notice, I didn't say that you're stopping by to sell them something. Your goal is for both businesses to increase their individual revenues.

As einhorn said, don't be upset if the "decision maker" isn't there, give your pitch to anyone who will stand still long enough to hear it and make sure you leave sales materials with someone who acknowledges that it should get to the owner/manager.

By the way... tailoring your mailer or email specifically to the recipient will dramatically increase your chance of success. In this age of spam, the less generic your mailer/email the better.
      Last edited by gruntingfrog; 01-21-2008, 10:07 PM.

Comment

Good information here, thanks to those who have posted. I'm a few weeks from brewing my first batch of beer, have a list of 300 or so accounts that I'd like to pursue, and was wondering what the best approach would be as far as most effectively communicating to them my existence and desire to maximize profits for them.

I'll be having two grand opening celebrations-- one for retailers / restaurant / industry folks, and one for the general public. Perhaps I should mail a nice invitation to my prospective accounts and include a possible date prior to the opening party we could meet to discuss personally?

Comment

Arbeit ist arbeit & schnaps ist schnaps

@ PMR - celebrate the opening and meet your prospective customers at the party after sending an invitation. Call/contact the local newspaper now or send out standard press releases and inform them of your time frame. At the party show them all who you are and what you can do (for them).

Eat, drink & be merry - thereafter you can sent up dates. Don't let the party look like a timeshare event.

Best of luck with your new enterprise !

Prosit !

Comment

Thanks Einhorn, that's very good advice. That will be the approach I'll take. Cheers!

Comment

Working...
            X