Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keep an eye on Ebay

One listing I found:

I've been noting the increase in listings over the past couple of months, as well as the increase in price per pound. I know this store is a homebrew supplier, but it is a reflection of the current trend

FWIW,

DS
    David Scarborough
    Brewer at large
    East coast USA

Who is controlling the hop prices?

Farmer, buyer or the resaler? I know they put the panic out there now. are they just going to keep raising the price until we stop buying hops?

What about 2009? How are you getting prepared for next years needs?
    www.Lervig.no

Comment

Prices

The same guy that controls beer prices and all other prices in the World (exceptions are: the only things that you cannot put a price on them-priceless). His name is MARK....ET. Supply and demand my friend.
      Sometimes things that were once in grate supply become priceless too.
      Cheers, Steve

Originally posted by Michael Murphy
      Who is controlling the hop prices?

Farmer, buyer or the resaler? I know they put the panic out there now. are they just going to keep raising the price until we stop buying hops?

What about 2009? How are you getting prepared for next years needs?

Comment

"Market" and control of the market...

There is always somebody who tries to control a market. And that exactly the situation presently.

Comment

speculation

In my opinion it is pure speculation and a weak dollar right now. The prices rose on bad crop reports, and now they are creating artificial supply, allowing bit by bit quantities into the market, enjoying the price wave.

I predict that prices will plummit, but not until NOV-DEC 08, after all have bought cheaper but still expensive hops in incredibly large quantities in Sep. after the crop and theUS has a new president.

As I reported in a similar thread, a collegue of mine signed a 5-year contract with his hops supplier a few weeks ago and has locked in a price starting SEP 08 which is 1/3 of his current price.

Comment

Its no doubt a confluence of events. Heres an article from brew your own magazine with an interview with Ralph from hopunion:

It makes an interesting read

DS
            David Scarborough
            Brewer at large
            East coast USA

Comment

Originally posted by DavidS
              Its no doubt a confluence of events. Heres an article from brew your own magazine with an interview with Ralph from hopunion:

It makes an interesting read

DS
              Thanks for the link, I spoke with Ralph in November and he confirmed the panic to me. I just dont know whos side he is on. I would hope he is on the side of the craft brewer.
              I have spent alot of money on hops this year, we just got our shippement in to get us through the year, normaly we buy as we go. I just got a bill for 75,000 usd for 1,500 kgs of hops. and I already have another 1000kg from 06.
              I want to speculate to see if the prices decrease by the next harvest before buying more. Should I consider myself lucky to have hops in stock or what?

btw. I use extract as well but Im not buying any as the price has gotten ridiculously high 420€ per kg AA...
              www.Lervig.no

Comment

Originally posted by DavidS

Thanks for the link. Chris wrote a well researched and nicely put together article.

Comment

Who is who

Hi DavidS
                  Do not insult Ralph by saying Ralph from Hop Union. Ralph is the OWNER and General Manager of Hop Union.
                  Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by sloppy
                    Hi DavidS
                    Do not insult Ralph by saying Ralph from Hop Union. Ralph is the OWNER and General Manager of Hop Union.
                    Cheers
                    And he's also the guy that saved Centennial hops from complete distruction by hijacking the CFJ-90 hybrid before it was wiped out.
                    Cheers & I'm out!
                    David R. Pierce
                    NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
                    POB 343
                    New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

No insult intended, believe me. Proper colloquial grammer should have been "of" and not "from". Evidently I erroneously presumed this was a given fact.
                      No way, no how, would I dare bite the hand that feeds us.

DS
                      David Scarborough
                      Brewer at large
                      East coast USA

Comment

Working...
                      X