Knocking out batch to batch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knocking out batch to batch

Due to time constraints, I need to brew and rack from fermenter to bright on the same day. Won't have time to CIP fermenter in between. I'd like to rack, leaving yeast behind, then knock out immediately right onto the yeast from the previous batch. No rinse. No CIP. No sanitizing. Crazy?

A couple of other particulars -
    Previous beer was a blond ale. New beer is a Pale (lighter to darker)
    Ferm is a unitank at app. 10 psi after racking
    Trub's already out.

Anybody do this without killing second beer. Anybody do this on a regular basis and willing to talk about it?

Thx.
    David

You'd probably get away with it once, but I wouldn't ever make it part of your standard routine.

Comment

David, I've done it about 3 times in emergency situations. I would definitely depressurize the tank and vent it if at all possible. Just try to get some of the CO2 out. Also keep in mind that there's probably way more yeast in the cone of the tank than you need, so you might want to pull a bit extra off the bottom. But that depends partly on where your racking arm/port is on the cone.

You'll also get lots of extra trub/solids in the 2nd batch from the extra krausen ring in the tank. So I'd think twice about repitching yeast out of the new batch. I also tended to have more problems filtering the second batch when I did have to do this. I'm guessing that's do to all the extra yeast that ended up being in the fermenter.

I wouldn't try to do this on a regular basis, but I had some success when in an emergency/desperation situation.
      Hutch Kugeman
      Head Brewer
      Brooklyn Brewery at the Culinary Institute of America
      Hyde Park, NY

Comment

Thanks for the comfort. Any thoughts on oxygenating the new batch? Same as usual?

Comment

Used to do it all the time.

Used to rack out, dump yeast until it was sort of constantly burping, then close up and SLOWLY depressurize the tank. Never harvested the next gen out of that tank. Usually had an over-vigorous ferment.

Performed this maneuver on 45-bbl and 7-bbl fermenters almost every week to save time in a brew day. We don't do it at my current joint and everyone looked at me like I was crazy when I mentioned it.

FWIW.
          Mike Elliott
          Head Brewer
          Philipsburg Brewing Co.
          Montana

Comment

Working...
          X