Water conservation in the brewhouse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water conservation in the brewhouse

Well, summer is here and there is drought in most of the Western U.S., and we all know that brewing lots beer requires lots of water. In an effort to use less water, particularily in the CIP cycles in the brewhouse, I am curious how much other brewers use during the cycles. Does anyone have any rules of thumb for how much water to use for each tank or any suggestions for reducing water usage?

I work on a 14-barrel brewhouse with 14-barrel conical fermenters and 7-barrel serving tanks. For the kettle and mash tun I use about 130 gallons for the caustic and acid cycles with an additional 30 gallons (about 5 minutes) for rinsing. For the fermenters, I use 60 gallons for each cycle and 15 gallons for rinsing. For the serving tanks I use 40 gallons for the cycles and 15 gallons for rinsing.

Thanks!

I think one barrel for the caustic is plenty for the mash and kettle tuns. You could probably only do an acid cycle once a month, depending on your water. It does depend on the amount of water required to fill your piping and not have cavitation.
    Linus Hall
    Yazoo Brewing
    Nashville, TN
    www.yazoobrew.com

Comment

We brew on a 10 bbl brewhouse with 10 bbl brights and fermenters. 15 gal to cycle brights and fermenters. We hop in to clean brewhouse. Only uses 3-5 gal per vessel to clean. To conserve rinse water just check the ph of the rinse water prior to rinsing. Check every minute or so. When your ph is the same as the source your rinsed.

Brendan
      Lb Brewing Co.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
      X