Spacing of fermenters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spacing of fermenters

Working on placement for the floorplan and aside from the obvious of need to be able to get to the various openings is there any regulation for min distance between jacketed fermenters?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Figure enough room to get behind and repair glycol connections, and especially remember you must have enough space to get in and clean between them (and the wall.) The more you squeeze now, the more you will regret it later.

Comment

With all due respect to moonlight, I might take a different approach. If you have unlimited space, certainly being able to walk around the fermenters to inspect, clean and repair is the only choice. I have worked in several breweries where there is no space between fermenters (including 8 in a row, currently) and have been able to work around any space issues easily. As long as the glycol valve train is located low & in the space between successive tank legs, repairs aren't difficult. I clean the fine mesh strainers on my pressure reducing valves back there with no problems. For cleaning, I use a foaming spray cleaner to reach places where I can't reach or see. Maybe even an advantage: cleaning the overpressure reliefs, dry hopping through the overpressure relief ports, and cleaning the fermenter tops is safer with no space to fall between. As a last resort you may always pull the fermenter forward to get behind it. Just remember to install shutoff valves and a piece of flexible tubing on each of the glycol supply & return lines. And consult with your brewer, whose opinion counts more than ours! Good luck!
      Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

I have a space issue and placed my fermenters against the wall and right next to each other, now I regret it.

every 4-5 months I have to leave 3 empty and pull them away from the wall and clean mold and other dirts. then I have to empty the other 3 and do it again.

My next brewery the fermenters will not be near a wall.
        www.Lervig.no

Comment

Thanks to everyone for their responses. Will def take them into account, especially the comment about being too close to the wall.

Todd

Comment

Working...
          X