Cooling a Brewpub?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooling a Brewpub?

I was curious if anyone has any advice on the best cooling in the actual brewery in a brewpub. In my experience a/c never seems to keep up and is debatable whether it is worth it. About an 1100 sq./ft. space. Any experience/ advice appreciated. Thanks.

Jordan

I'm not a brewpub owner, but...

I don't know how your A/C was sized, but it probably wasn't sized for the use it sees. If you moved into an existing building/restaurant and used the existing A/C it would almost never keep up because it was not designed to handle the loads of the brew kettle, pump motors, mixers, people in and out/ etc. There is also a high humidity load from steam, washing, etc.

If you were in a dry area evaporative cooling (swamp cooler) or just mechanical ventilation would work well, but in Atlanta you have too much humidity to deal with.

However, if the humidity outside is less than inside mechanical ventilation may work OK.

You would have to consult with an engineer, or a good commerical HVAC company to get it properly sized. Look for references, whether the company is big or small.

It will probably cost way more than you are thinking in order to do it right, so only you can answer the "is it worth it?" question.

Good Luck.
    Johnson Thermal Systems
    sales@johnsonthermal.com
    Johnsonthermal.com

Comment

Room Cooling

Hello Jordan,

We supply a number of Glycol to Air Heat Exchangers to breweries and wineries for room cooling. But I would only recommend that you pursue using glycol for this purpose if you have surplus capacity in your existing chiller system (or want to add some capacity to your chiller or install a new one).

If you will be cooling product, I generally recommend that you only go this route if you have at least two refrigeration circuits on your chiller system. This will protect in the event you lose a compressor or have a fault in one of the circuits.

Installation is no more complicated than it is to install a Fermenter into your glycol loop. A dedicated Thermostat will control the glycol solenoid and/or fans plus you'll need to pipe in a drain line for the condensation.

As Jeff mentioned in the previous post, the key to any cooling project is making sure the system is properly sized and engineered. We can probably get a pretty good idea of the load requirements over the phone or via email, if you would like to discuss further, please contact me. It is likely the Load will be much higher than expected, but it is probably worth calculating.

Good luck,

Jim

Jim VanderGiessen Jr.
      Pro Refrigeration Inc.
      Tel 800.845.7781 ext 203
      jimvgjr@prorefrigeration.com
      Pro Refrigeration Inc, manufactures, and distributes state-of-the-art chiller systems for the dairy, craft brewing, wineries, & many more!

Comment

Working...
      X