Brewery Effluent Sample Point

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brewery Effluent Sample Point

Thus far I have had an extremely easy ride when it comes to meeting the regulations and expectations of my local government and regulators. The first hurdle I have come across, and in the grand scheme of things it is a very small hurdle, is the WPCA requiring a sample point for my effluent located within the brewery. I am located in an old Velvet Mill that is segregated into several units now, hence the reason for the sample point within the brewery, upstream of any mixing from other units. I have asked the WPCA what they expect for a solution, but I would like to see what others have done to resolve this. Is a sump pit sufficient, or are they looking for a holding tank. I am probably even missing an easier solution to this issue. Thanks in advance for your help.
    Aaren M. Simoncini
    The Beer'd Brewing Co. LLC
    22 Bayview Ave. Unit # 15
    Stonington, CT. 06378
    Aaren@beerdbrewing.com

City Trouble

That is what has happened to me. The city was real easy to begin with and as they did their research they started pinning stuff on. Best thing to do is do not say anything to the city unless spoken to, otherwise if you mention something they didn't think about they will make you do it and possibly more.

What I have done with my waste water is I have intermediary bulk containers on pallets that I pump all waste into for neutralization and aeration (helps with the BOD level I am told). Once the tank is within the citys standards I will dump the container through a bag filter to get some of the trub and large yeast particles out before hitting the drain. From the drain there is a sample port for the city to come in at ANY time to check. After the sample port they are having me put in a sediment trap which is just prior to the sewer.

The city was going to make me put in underground holding tanks along with my above ground tanks but my civil engineer, architect, and I argued and they finally let us go with what I am doing. Make sure you have a good architect that the city is used to dealing with and a civil engineer that also knows what he is doing.

Moral of the story. Do not mention anything to the city they have not already talked to you about because more than likely you will end up paying for it in the end. The city has made me blow my construction budget by about $25,000 because I mentioned a few things they didn't think about just because I want to do things right.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Matt

Comment

Solution

Now that I have heard back from the WPCA I wanted to update the community with the solution they provided me. I have been asked to install a grease trap interceptor between my floor drain and the sewer system. I was prepared for the worst, and this seems to be a very reasonable solution to my sample point requirement.
      Aaren M. Simoncini
      The Beer'd Brewing Co. LLC
      22 Bayview Ave. Unit # 15
      Stonington, CT. 06378
      Aaren@beerdbrewing.com

Comment

Working...
      X