Berliner Weisse Syrups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Berliner Weisse Syrups

We're planning on brewing a wheat beer based on the Berliner Weisse style and we're having a little trouble finding a source for raspberry and woodruff syrups. Any suggestions on suppliers? Short of the syrup, are they any decent extracts that would make a good substitute?
    Mike Hiller, Head Brewer
    Strangeways Brewing
    2277-A Dabney Road
    Richmond, VA 23230
    804-303-4336
    www.strangewaysbrewing.com

I've heard that woodruff syrup is a banned substance due to its toxicity and is therefore difficult to get in the US. Some folks know folks and can get it on the DL. Keep poking around and it'll turn up. I seem to remember a German food specialty store in WI or OH that would mail order small quantities of the wood.

Comment

Zentis

Here's a link to the "German Deli"

Maybe it's not very economical like this, but maybe the people there can help you out with a larger quantities from Germany.

Or maybe the people at Rudolf Wild can be of assistance of (custom?) bulk orders in stainless containers.

Rudolf Wild GmbH & Co. KG. WILD, also known as ADM WILD Europe GmbH & Co, developed into a leading producer of natural ingredients for the food and beverage industry.

Comment

Toxicity? What's toxic about woodruff?

Anyway, we'll be contacting GermanDeli about their selection. It looks like they have a few choices. I'm hoping we can work out a wholesale and/or bulk price with them. But those bottles seem to be the perfect size. A bottle of each of woodruff and raspberry with each 1/2 keg should work out pretty well. Their prices are pretty nice, too.
        Mike Hiller, Head Brewer
        Strangeways Brewing
        2277-A Dabney Road
        Richmond, VA 23230
        804-303-4336

Comment

Good luck with the Weisse! Regarding flavors: why limit yourself? There are plenty of syrups out there in coffee shops that might make a nice beer. Just because it's traditionally raspberry or woodruff in Germany doesn't mean that a better beer can't be made with some other flavors. Besides coffee shops, you could try flavorings for sno-cones, soft-drink syrups, or teas/infusions of most anything. Herbs, spices, fruits.... I'm doing a hibiscus wheat beer that is killer, although that is mixed in the bright tank and not by the glass. Cheers!
          Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Well, we had considered the coffee shop types of syrups. Toscani, I think, is a brand I see pretty often. I'm certainly not opposed to using other flavors - I mean whatever the drinker wants to throw in there is fine with me. Like I said in my last post, I'm planning on including bottles of raspberry and woodruff with each keg, but if the bar/restaurant has other things available, that would be great, too.
            Mike Hiller, Head Brewer
            Strangeways Brewing
            2277-A Dabney Road
            Richmond, VA 23230
            804-303-4336

Comment

Hi Mike,

There is a company in State College that makes shrubs.

Comment

Juice products limited in Chicago has juice concentrates in a myriad of flavors. We use it in our fruit beers. I think it would nice, but the bad news is the minimum is five gallons. Also, razz just had a huge price increase. Lots of other flavors though. Contact is Barry Ripkin. Not a good website (or one at all). IF you want to talk to him, PM me ande I will send the number when I am at work.
                Matt Van Wyk
                Brewmaster
                Oakshire Brewing
                Eugene Oregon

Comment

Originally posted by brewbong
                  I've heard that woodruff syrup is a banned substance due to its toxicity and is therefore difficult to get in the US. Some folks know folks and can get it on the DL. Keep poking around and it'll turn up. I seem to remember a German food specialty store in WI or OH that would mail order small quantities of the wood.

Originally posted by tsewong73
                  Toxicity? What's toxic about woodruff?

Anyway, we'll be contacting GermanDeli about their selection. It looks like they have a few choices. I'm hoping we can work out a wholesale and/or bulk price with them. But those bottles seem to be the perfect size. A bottle of each of woodruff and raspberry with each 1/2 keg should work out pretty well. Their prices are pretty nice, too.
                  I think you are confusing woodruff with wormwood.
                  Cheers & I'm out!
                  David R. Pierce
                  NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
                  POB 343
                  New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

Ah, WORMWOOD! Now, that makes sense because I think that's the source of the funky stuff in Absinthe.

BMOOR, thank you for the suggestion, but I'm definitely looking for a smaller container that travels well with a 1/2 keg. However, I printed your post and I'm going to keep it when we decide to brew a fruit beer.

OTTONUT/Charlie, thanks for the heads-up about Tait Farms. I have to admit I was wondering what the hell I was supposed to do with fruit bushes, but after checking out the site, I understand. Their shrubs sound interesting and I'll definitely consider them because I'm very interested in something more local. I'll give them a call. Have you used these shrubs in beer?
                    Mike Hiller, Head Brewer
                    Strangeways Brewing
                    2277-A Dabney Road
                    Richmond, VA 23230
                    804-303-4336

Comment

we use Germandeli...they wrap each bottle in a German Flag!!

love those guys!
                      Larry Horwitz

Comment

Doubts about syrup

Can anyone help me with some questions about syrups?

I know there are certain chemicals that extends shelf life of products and beer is not the exception. I have not used syrups before and i have some questions about it.

How do you guys avoid a new fermentation due to the adition of the syrup? Just filtering the beer trough a 0.5 micron filter? Has anyone used potassium sorbate to avoid a new fermentation?

I now that so2 or sulfites avoid oxidation as well as spoilage in beverages. Do you use sulfites to prevent syrup oxidation or spoilage into your beer? If you do not, what do you use? to avoid spoilage or oxidation

Thank you all

Comment

I made my own using a simple syrup base and steeping sweet woodruf for a couple of days, seemed to tast very nice. Added in a bit of benzoate and food color to get it to look right. If you can make a berliner weisse you ought to be able to make your own syrup.

Comment

Guys, the syrup is added to the glass after the beer has been poured.
                            Mike Hiller, Head Brewer
                            Strangeways Brewing
                            2277-A Dabney Road
                            Richmond, VA 23230
                            804-303-4336

Comment

Just ask Mathias

B. United carries both types of syrup. Ask your favorite distributor to pick some up for you. Or maybe just call the importer. It's not beer, so they can probably just send it to you.

I believe that the brand is Getrankesirup (or something like that).

Comment

Working...
                              X