To cellulose or not to cellulose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To cellulose or not to cellulose

I have a 3SQM Velo Vertical. After trying a half dozen different ways to precoat with cellulose, I always end up with the top 1/4 of the screens devoid of cellulose and it gets thicker as you go down the screens. Top portion is almost exclusively DE. So I am wondering if the cellulose is necessary at all. Sure it helps me clean the screens a bit but it is one more step in the precoat and it is a PITA to get to mix in the dosing tank (I use beer). Going to try straight DE next time as I used to with my horizontal Dela. Anyone have any real good reason to use cellulose? If It helps get more beer per run I am more than willing.

No need for Cellulose

Matt,
    I also have a 3 sq meter Velo. Cellulose is unnecessary and messy in my experience.

Comment

As a follow up I just did two batches back to back without cellulose. 100% STD DE and noticed no difference other than it was easier and quicker to precoat.

Comment

No earth bleed going with straight DE on the precoat?

Comment

Not that I noticed. I'll have to see if I get any sediment on the bottom of the brites. I know there are different grades of mesh on filter screens and that some of the looser screens require cellulose to prevent bleed through. I know plenty of people who use only DE with no problems. I'd really like to get a little cartridge trap filter on the outlet just in case. The beer cleared quickly once I started the precoat.Once I also tried mixing the cellulose with a few lbs of dirt on the first precoat and that did give a more even distribution on the screens. If I can live without the cellulose I'd rather KISS and make things easier.

Comment

Well then... may as well KISS if it's working.

Comment

We started using cellulose as a first pre coat when I was having a real hard time filtering 60 Bbls. Since we started with the cellulose I am able to do the whole 60 in one shot without ever having to reset the filter. I have also noticed that we have no sediment on the bottm of the brites now.

Comment

If the top plates are free of powder / cellulose, it suggests you don't have a partial recirc / bleed system, as previously noted. Another possibility, though I think unlikely is that you actually have too high a flow rate and the flow is scouring off the powder / cellulose.

No matter what addition type you use, you need to get the flow rate balanced across all the plates at the manufacturers recommended flow rate. On other suppliers horizontal filters, the recommended flow rate is 6.5 hl / hr per square metre, i.e. approx 20 hl / hr. I have no reason to believe that Velo use any differnet flow rates.

I suspect that, based on flow rate differences required when using KG and celite, that you might get away with or even need a slightly lower flow rate when using cellulose - but I have no experience to back this up.

Cheers
                dick

Comment

Working...
                X