Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stacked Tanks?

Hi All!
    First, let’s start off by saying that I am trying to cram the most 7bbl Fermenters and 7bbl servers into a very long and narrow but tall (16 Feet) space in my brewpub which is very small. One of my advisors told me that other brewpubs have used stacked serving tanks and Fermenters to save on space. I talked to a few fabrication shops and they said that a platform could be built relatively easy to hold the tanks. I was wondering if anyone had experience working in such an environment and if anyone had pictures of a stacked tank setup? My main concern is for our brewer’s ability to brew. He would have to work either on a platform or on a moveable set of stairs. The tanks are relatively small 4’X6’ and he is tall 6’4’’ so truthfully he could do some aspects without a platform or stairs. So even stacked, the top of the highest tank would be roughly 14’. Thanks and CHEERS

Pictures would be greatly appreciated!

MickDuffs
    duffy@mickduffs.com

I worked under a similar setup currently in my cold room. I have 3-15bbls tank and 7-7 bbls tanks, Four out of the seven are actually elevated above the floor to take advantage of vertical space. Two are stacked above tanks which I usually either use a ladder or climb the scaffolding in order to hood up attachments or clean. I'll try my best to post a picture as soon as I can.
    Cheers,
    Mike Roy
    Brewmaster
    Franklins Restaurant, Brewery & General Store
    5123 Baltimore Ave
    Hyattsville,MD 20781
    301-927-2740

Franklinsbrewery.com
    @franklinsbrwry
    facebook.com/franklinsbrewery

Comment

No Problem.............

Hey Mike,

The Brewery we de-comissioned was a double stack tank orientation. They had (4) single level Primaries and (3) sets of double stack Conditioners. They used a ladder to reach the manways for the tanks. I reckon it really depends on what you're doing.

They had almost endless headspace but we have a 17'-6" limit, and it will work rather well in our new location. The glycol lay-out actually works out pretty well.

If it were Primaries, I'ld say no. Conditioners, yes.

Just my $.02...........

Comment

Pictures

Diamond Knot do you have pictures of the setup? Thanks for the info
        MickDuffs

Comment

I have a set of double stacked Bright Beer Tanks (2 x 20bbl each). They are about 16' tall. Its a pain to work on them, but the serve their purpose, and I have two more tanks to sell beer out of. Its not an ideal situation, but still possible.

Make sure your CIP pump has enough head pressure to clean the tanks properly. Although at a small size I don't think that will be a problem.

Comment

Go to...........

Originally posted by MickDuffs
            Diamond Knot do you have pictures of the setup? Thanks for the info
            MickDuffs
            Mick, go to our Diamond Knot homepage: www dot diamondknot dot com and click on the "B2" link. You'll see the tanks in the pictures. Ours are 15 Bbl tanks. I hope the spam filters don't hit this e-mail..........I'm not trying to plug anything but knowledge!

As zbrew2k mentioned, they have their purpose of you are cramped for floor space. Also, they leave other floor space free for future tank placement when we grow into our new site.
            We used our Hyster forklift to tip them vertical and used a pallet jack to place them.

Comment

Ive worked with those horizontal serving tanks, DUOTanks are nice, they even have a liner system where you dont have to worry about exposure to oxygen or building up more CO2, cleaning is a cinch.

Here is a link with a photo, its not a DUOtank though.
              www.Lervig.no

Comment

Working...
              X