table top fillers/semi automatic fillers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• table top fillers/semi automatic fillers

Can anyone give advice on small table top fillers?
    Or maybe the next step up, semi automatic set ups?

I realize there are several advertisers and other allied trade members that read here, so hopefully we can have some constructive input without stepping on too many toes.

Possible input:
    Companies you like (i.e. PPM, HDP, Maheen, Applied, etc.)
    units you like (bottling buddy, merlin, etc.)
    Were the quoted output speeds accurate?
    Who has good customer service?
    Who should one not deal with?
    What size is too small/too big?
    What "extras" would you buy next time?

We need something much faster and with higher quality than hand bottling homebrew style, but have very little space or money. (yeah great combination, right?)

finally, if you have something collecting dust because you upgraded-PM me.

Thanks for any advice, tips, warnings, etc. you can provide someone fumbling blindly.

Matt
    Matt Van Wyk
    Brewmaster
    Oakshire Brewing
    Eugene Oregon

good post

matt -
    good post. you beat me to it. although i have no good info to offer up i will be following this thread closely because you and i are in the same boat.

joel

Comment

Yet another Me Too

Great summary, I'm in the same boat too.

I hope one of the machine companys will step up and work on filling this hole.

Troy

Comment

I'm getting a mixed message here. Do you want a tabletop or a higher speed setup? It's not logical to ask for speed from a tabletop.

I just put in a 2 head HDP with double pre-evac and integrated crowner to do my growlers and 500ml bottles. It works like a charm as long as I meet the packaging criteria. Beer at 32 degrees - not 35 degrees - not 40 degrees. If you don't meet the 1st principle of filling (and this applies to every filler on the face of the earth) then you have to slow down. I am filling two growlers a minute now and can see that I can do better. We have not received our 500ml bottles yet so I don't have any data yet but so far, so good.

Comment

Rob -

Speed isn't an issue for me. I plan on using this for pilot and small runs until the volume of sales warrant running the product on a higher speed line (I'm looking at a Meheen for this).

Can you email or PM me with the details of your setup?

Thanks!

Troy

Comment

Thanks Rob.
            Yeah, I know we all want the best of both worlds. I just referred to higher speed because I know some companies have something that is sort of "semi-automatic" and put out beer a little faster than a table top model. I just, of course, am looking to get the most bang for my buck.

I assume with our space considerations, we'll have a tabletop model.
            Glad to see you like your HDP, because it is near the top of my list.
            Matt Van Wyk
            Brewmaster
            Oakshire Brewing
            Eugene Oregon

Comment

Rob, Thanks for that info as well... Would that machine set up for 22oz glass as well?? I'm looking for a growler filler myself.

JS
              John Stuart
              Green Man Brewery
              Asheville, North Carolina

Comment

The filler was built to accommodate our 500ml bottle and our growler (Grandstands). Whether it could handle a bomber is a function of the bottle diameter and height. There are separate screw on fill tubes for each package. The bottle stand shuttles forward and backward to align it with the fill head and there seems to be a lot of height to fit in a bomber but you would have to have that verified. There is an insert to the shuttle to fit the 500ml in.

As to service, I have had all of my questions answered but hell, I'm only 2 miles from their plant so I better get good service. I had some programming issues that were resolved quickly. The manual was generic and not tailored to my machine and in the day of computers I don't see the logic in this. How much effort does it take to cut and paste proper instructions? On the positive side, it is an incredibly simple to clean and run and I immediately altered some of their line set-ups to make it run better and cleaner.

I love the double pre-evac and the digital pressure switch gives you some visual validation for whatever thats worth. All in all, it's working well and is easy for anyone to run. If I can figure how to post a picture, I will.

Comment

Working...
                X