Heather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heather

I am thinking of brewing a a heather ale for the upcoming holiday season. Does anyone have any information or experience using the heather plant in the brewing process?

Contact Andrew over at John Harvards in Monroeville. I know he has used it in a Scotch Ale before

Bill

Comment

You should try and get in touch with Will Meyers at Cambridge Brewing Company in Massachussetts. He brews a KILLER Heather Ale and I'm sure he can give you some valuable advice.

will@cambridgebrewingcompany.com
      Mike Hiller, Head Brewer
      Strangeways Brewing
      2277-A Dabney Road
      Richmond, VA 23230
      804-303-4336
      www.strangewaysbrewing.com

Comment

I make a Wee Heavy that has no hops, only heather additions and it's one of my best (and most award-winning) brews. Very unusual flavor and aroma. I read somewhere heather has approximately 4 IBUs so that's what I base my recipe on, and it seems about right. This is homebrewing, though, a commercial brewer would probably do well to send a sample out.

I use only heather tips, which include varying amounts of the actual flowers in them. I've gotten better results from batches with a smaller proportion of flowers and more of the green tips.

Comment

Look in Randy Mosher's great book "Radical Brewing". He devotes quite a few pages to Heather and its history in beer.
          Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Working...
          X