Home water filter and beer.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home water filter and beer.....

Just throwing this out there as a "strange thing I've thought about" sort of topic....

Anyone ever use one of those particulate filters for home/commercial water lines as an 'in-a-pinch' beer filter? I saw an industrial sized Culligan with 3/4" fittings at the hardware store yesterday while getting a new grain-out shovel and thought "Hmmmm...you could get some 3/4" male npt-to-tc fittings, and push a beer from fermenter to serving tank with gas and maybe get it pretty bright in a pinch..." Am I insane?
    "By man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world" -- St. Arnold of Metz

Inline home water filter

What model is it? The Gold Series? I dont see why it wouldnt work, depending on how much beer you run through it, the pressure applied, and how much your yeast flocculates. I have used the smaller inline filters that MoreBeer sells to homebrewers. Ive used them with the 0.5 micron filter before when pilot brewing on my 1 HL system. But then of course I had a long secondary fermentation and the beer was basically clear already!
    My partner borrowed it once and filtered a quite hazy Maibock through it and it worked fine. The filter cartridges are expensive though I think....

I bet all of us brewers are constantly thinking of new ways to make our jobs easier without taking the "Craft" out of the beer.......
    Its a job injury.
    David Meadows

Comment

Yeah, I thought about it, but I figured it'd blind up too fast...

Cheers, Tim

Comment

A brewer at a Pub/BOP in my area uses one of those for his 3 barrel system, seems to work fine for him.

JackK

Comment

Timely Discussion

I was contemplating the same thing here...on a small scale I just want to filter a few cornies of a Hefe to make them a little less Hefe.

I have one of the morebeer filters

home brew, home brewing, beer ingredients, homebrew, beer kits, beer equipment,brewing equipment

and gave it a go yesterday on a couple kegs...and it raises some more fundamental questions about filtering that maybe you guys can help me with.

On this particular batch of Hefe Weizen I fined part of it with isinglass (I have a dozen cornies with the dip tubes cut) and was able to get near bright beer, so I'm assuming a majority of the haze IS yeast...

So I started by trying a 5 micron filter though this didn't improve on the clarity of the beer at all. I then tried the 1 micron filter and still NO improvement....then I gave up in the freezing wet cold...

Should I need to have to go smaller than 1 micron for yeast??? I was pushing the beer thru the filter from keg to keg with about 5psi....which felt slow enough....do I need to go slower.

Any thoughts appreciated....Happy Christmas as well everyone!

Cheers,
          Jeff Rosenmeier (Rosie)
          Chairman of the Beer
          Lovibonds Brewery Ltd
          Henley-on-Thames, Englandshire
          W: www.lovibonds.com
          F: LovibondsBrewery
          T: @Lovibonds

Comment

Hi,

in my area...i am using aquasana water filter & purification syste,...i do not really careabout it as i have no problem...with it..

thanks

Comment

I am totally using two in series a 10 or a 5 micron and then a 1.
              Was using a pump ... now am able to transfer between kegs with co2.

Polypro - from MSC catalog are about 1.50-3$ and I have done 6bbls on one set up.

about a year ago, I had used .5mic before but I was worried of stripping dextrins.. our beer was very crappy and thin and had no aroma. But then I realized it was the (over) carbing process, and excessive venting of CO2

I might go back.

Comment

Working...
              X