beer that prevents hangovers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• beer that prevents hangovers

riddle me this... new thought here- theres a new study that found prickly pear cactus could help prevent hangovers. Being an 'herb' throwing that in ... along with some ginger(prevents nausia) which also goes towards bittering agents(replace hops, or cut down on it) along with some vitamin B complex.

Also Willow Bark- its the natural source of aspirin, and could prevent inflammation(headaches). Cystein- which is ammino acid that dirrectly counteracts acetyldehyde, which is the main by-product of alcohal that gives people a hangover. And lastly throw in a couple ounces of mangosteen, a new and improved super fruit that has medicinal affects. could take the place of some barley for the fermentation process.

This is all jumbled together, i know theres been a beer in India (ladybird) that was pretty successful and prevented hangovers along with many other longterm side affects of drinking... let me know your thoughts on this- whether u think its possible, open for any and alll advice or comments,, just a thought at this point.

This is purely my opinion, but after working in the beverage business for thirteen years my experience is telling me this is more urban legend. I call it very irresponsable marketing. If you drink lots of alcohol and then suddenly stop your body goes into sugar shock. If you get a hangover from a drink or two, maybe this might be for you. I actually have three gallons of nine year old prickely pear cactus fruit mead. Good stuff the inside of the fruit looks like blood. I think you are searching for the city of gold going for a hangover free alcoholic beverage though.
    Joel Halbleib
    Partner / Zymurgist
    Hive and Barrel Meadery
    6302 Old La Grange Rd
    Crestwood, KY
    www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

Nothing prevents a hangover after heavy drinking. Why not just drink cask, or unfiltered beer to help out if you are only having a couple, B vitamins are good for you!!!!
      Tim Butler

Empire Brewing Co.
      Syracuse, NY

Comment

activated carbon?

I don't imagine there is anything you could add to beer that would prevent hangovers, otherwise someone would have figured it out by now.

What if you drank medical activated carbon? The kind they give you at the hospital if you drink poison? Wouldn't it adsorb the ethanol and you wouldn't get as drunk or drunk as fast? They make dog biscuts out of the stuff too, supposed to be good for the dog if it eats something nasty. Hmmm, maybe i will just try a few dog biscuts next time I tie one on! Nah...last time i tried to eat one it wasn't very good.

Comment

do you really want to promote a product that says 'get irresponsibly drunk, you wont get a hang over from it, so it's fine!'

i'm guessing here in the uk that wouldnt go down too well with government types.
          they're banning 'shots' as they encourage binge drinking. they will still sell spirits in measures, but terms like 'slammers' are going, as far as i know.
          GeorgeJ
          Head Brewer - TDM 1874 Brewery.
          Yokohama, Japan.

Comment

I have a friend that swears by drinking some lambic right before bed after a hard night of drinking prevents hangovers... or maybe he is still drunk when he wakes up.
            www.Lervig.no

Comment

That would be me...

Yes, Mike, that would be me that swears by drinking lambic before going to sleep... and it has proven successful thus far. 4 for 4. Will see how the experiment works through the weekend...
              Shaun e.

Comment

How much lambic are we talking? And what type, older styles or the sweet stuff?

Originally posted by grassrootsvt
                Yes, Mike, that would be me that swears by drinking lambic before going to sleep... and it has proven successful thus far. 4 for 4. Will see how the experiment works through the weekend...
                Shaun e.

Comment

what sort of lambic?

I only drink Drie Fonteinen and Cantillon. Usually Geuze.
                  One 8oz glass.
                  Any variety.
                  5 for 5 with this experiment...
                  I suppose that Boon/Girardin/De Cam/Hanssens would also work...

Comment

I could see the very sour lamics having an advantage over beers with lots of leftover sugars in this area. The hangover is after all your body telling you that you are in sugar shock.
                    Joel Halbleib
                    Partner / Zymurgist
                    Hive and Barrel Meadery
                    6302 Old La Grange Rd
                    Crestwood, KY
                    www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

Glass of water?

I've always been of the thought that a glass of water before bed would help hydrate and prevent a hangover... however, doesn't seem to be a constant. Question is: which component of lambic is fending off my headaches? It is nearly 100% attenuated [but so is macro light lager] - which puts it on par with water in the sugar category... could it be one of the 100ish microorganisms? The pH? We need subjects to volunteer their bodies for this experimentation... [could malt vinegar work just as well? =) ]

Comment

Working...
                      X