No announcement yet.

The time has come

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Glacier Brewing site pops right up and operates fine. It is a very rare occasion that I experience any issues online or otherwise. My two cents...
    Cheers & I'm out!
    David R. Pierce
    NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
    POB 343
    New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

very pretty website.
      It loaded fine for me... I wonder if this is an issue with your server? limited bandwidth/slow connection? all come worst you can make your website into two parts, one "High-speed" one "Dial-up".

What makes me curious, however, is just how much profit margin are you looking at? I assume you worked out a pretty looking pro forma?

Also, my experience with specialty superstore is often, sadly, excellent selection of old beer. As a consumer, I love these stores (it's like a candy store!!)
      But from a brewer's point of view, I really wouldn't want my beer be sitting in a giant room with 500 other beers for 3 months (or 6), and finally some customer opened it and decided my beer sucks.

but in any event, good luck with it!

Comment

I had problems with the web-site as well, but got it going later on.
        Looks interesting, but as you go farther East, the more the laws get complicated.

Goopd Luck,

Tom
        ECBC

Comment

Originally posted by jarviw
          very pretty website.
          It loaded fine for me... I wonder if this is an issue with your server? limited bandwidth/slow connection? all come worst you can make your website into two parts, one "High-speed" one "Dial-up".

What makes me curious, however, is just how much profit margin are you looking at? I assume you worked out a pretty looking pro forma?

Also, my experience with specialty superstore is often, sadly, excellent selection of old beer. As a consumer, I love these stores (it's like a candy store!!)
          But from a brewer's point of view, I really wouldn't want my beer be sitting in a giant room with 500 other beers for 3 months (or 6), and finally some customer opened it and decided my beer sucks.

but in any event, good luck with it!
          I'm operating on a net rev of 20%+.

I agree, old beer is an issue. We'll be using a inventory control system that allows us to track purchases by date so we'll know the shelf dates for every item in the store. Also, a big benefit of this model is that you don't need a large inventory of slower moving items. You may only stock a 12 pack of some items that you sell less frequently but have 40 cases of a higher volume item. Should you run out of a item that is a slow mover in most cases it can be back in stock within 48 hours from your distributor.

Stores that stock old beer are usually not managing their inventory very well or ordering too much of an item and then not tracking it properly. There is no excuse for having old beer on the shelf.
          Owner
          Grind Modern Burger
          PostModern Brewers
          Boise, ID

Comment

Originally posted by ECB
            I had problems with the web-site as well, but got it going later on.
            Looks interesting, but as you go farther East, the more the laws get complicated.

Goopd Luck,

Tom
            ECBC
            Clearly there are states that won't be friendly to the concept, states like Utah and Florida come to mind but for the most part we've found that with minimal adjustments in the operation we can tailor a store for virtually anywhere.

Sorry about your difficulty with the site. I'm going to spend some time this weekend trying to decrease the size of some of the images to speed up the load times.
            Owner
            Grind Modern Burger
            PostModern Brewers
            Boise, ID

Comment

I spent several hours this weekend trying to speed up the site. If any of you happen to the site please let me know if you have any issues or if you notice any improvement.

Thanks
              Owner
              Grind Modern Burger
              PostModern Brewers
              Boise, ID

Comment

state laws

"The individual laws from state to state are something of a challenge and not all the services may be offered in some states. Here in Idaho for example you can't offer tastings of beer but you can wine. The solution to this dilemma was to get an on premise license. Its an inexpensive fix to the problem."

NJ is a tough one even on the above, I know you aren't planning on coming here, but it is a great market for specialty stores like your concept, we are just often neglected because no one wants to put up with our NJ ABC. We are in the same position too where you can have wine tasting but not beer tasting. Wineries have a lot of rights in NJ and brewer's have one, we have A-B to thankf or that over in Newark. But tasting aside, a store that specializes, and knows their crafts could do extremely well here. But you definitely need some good counsel versed in each states laws, just dealing with my state got confusing.

Site still loaded up fast for me, but I use firefox and didn't realize until someone else posted about it that it might be slow on IE, make sure to check all browsers when designing.

-Jeremy FLounder Lees
                Flounder Brewing Co.
                Jeremy "Flounder" Lees
                Owner
                Flounder Brewing Co., LLC
                Hillsborough, NJ

Comment

Originally posted by Brewtopian
                  I spent several hours this weekend trying to speed up the site. If any of you happen to the site please let me know if you have any issues or if you notice any improvement.

Thanks
                  Well, your site still hates IE 7 on my machine. I had the same result as the post below.

Originally posted by beertje46
                  After reading all the posts I decided my machine was bad-ass enough to handle anything, wrong. I opened the site in a new tab so I could continue reading ProBrewer. The machine ground to a halt, couldn't even scroll through PB. I am on commericial grade broadband and am connected straight into the modem. I couldn't even log-out.

I am using XP & IE 7 with all the current updates, 1/2 gig RAM, fast Celeron processor.

Once I got rebooted I opened the site with FireFox (3.something beta). Boom, site comes up fast, navigates easily even though it is a graphics hog. There is something about the site that doesn't like Internet Exploder.

Looks like a great concept, good luck in your venture.

Still works great on FireFox.
                  Cheers & I'm out!
                  David R. Pierce
                  NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
                  POB 343
                  New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

Originally posted by jl07960
                    "The individual laws from state to state are something of a challenge and not all the services may be offered in some states. Here in Idaho for example you can't offer tastings of beer but you can wine. The solution to this dilemma was to get an on premise license. Its an inexpensive fix to the problem."

NJ is a tough one even on the above, I know you aren't planning on coming here, but it is a great market for specialty stores like your concept, we are just often neglected because no one wants to put up with our NJ ABC. We are in the same position too where you can have wine tasting but not beer tasting. Wineries have a lot of rights in NJ and brewer's have one, we have A-B to thankf or that over in Newark. But tasting aside, a store that specializes, and knows their crafts could do extremely well here. But you definitely need some good counsel versed in each states laws, just dealing with my state got confusing.

Site still loaded up fast for me, but I use firefox and didn't realize until someone else posted about it that it might be slow on IE, make sure to check all browsers when designing.

-Jeremy FLounder Lees
                    Flounder Brewing Co.
                    I don’t know if any of you have read Brewing Up A Business by Sam Calagione, the founder of Dogfish Head Brewery. He tells a very interesting story about when he was trying to get the first Dogfish Head brewpub open. He had picked out his site in DE, signed the lease and started renovations, he built his brewing facility and then decided to tackle the state law that at the time said it was illegal to operate a brewpub in DE. He and his lawyer drew up a bill and got it before the state legislature. He personally lobbied for his bill at the state house and the it was overwhelmingly approved making it legal for brewpubs to operate in the state.

Now I don’t advocate spending the money before making sure the laws support your venture but I think many on this board feel that the laws can’t be changed. If a responsible operator were to approach the state legislature in most states he would stand a good chance of getting the laws changed to support his model.

I don’t believe that Brewtopia has to be or will be in all 50 states but the fact remains that better than 50% of the states already have laws that approve of the model I’ve built. Some may require a different license than another but at the end of the day the model works in better than half the states and should the concept be as successful as I anticipate that number will grow as municipalities begin to demand access to quality beer. We’ve seen this exact scenario play out in the last 20 years as states have changed their laws to allow brewpubs and breweries to operate. For Christ sake even Utah has microbreweries now.

I'm not overly concerned with the issues of law at this point as there is no shortage of opportunity here in the West but don't be surprised if you see that big red sign on a building near you in the not to distant future.
                    Owner
                    Grind Modern Burger
                    PostModern Brewers
                    Boise, ID

Comment

Utah

Your site works well with firefox and loads well on my 4 y/o Compaq laptop.

Just want to throw out how it is not likely to get laws changed or even make a viable business out here in Utah. The supermarkets sell approximately half of the craft beers legally available for sale. Everything over 4.0 ABV must be sold in the state run liquor store. We just have to get crafty with how to make a great tasting beer. (pun intended)

These stores are great though; I used to frequent a store on 85th and Aurora in Seattle when I used to go to school up there. It looked like crap from the outside, but upon entering it felt like heaven. Large selection of beers from everywhere. Don't know if it is still there, but could get behind the idea of another.

Good luck!
                      Last edited by Carpeiem; 02-11-2008, 04:28 PM.
                      Chase DeHan
                      Renegade Chief
                      Renegade Ales

Live well, laugh often... drink great beer.

Comment

Originally posted by Carpeiem

Just want to throw out how it is not likely to get laws changed or even make a viable business out here in Utah. The supermarkets sell approximately half of the craft beers legally available for sale. Everything over 4.0 ABV must be sold in the state run liquor store. We just have to get crafty with how to make a great tasting beer. (pun intended)

These stores are great though; I used to frequent a store on 85th and Aurora in Seattle when I used to go to school up there. It looked like crap from the outside, but upon entering it felt like heaven. Large selection of beers from everywhere. Don't know if it is still there, but could get behind the idea of another.

Good luck!
                        Thanks for the good wishes. I agree Utah is a real uphill battle but its not a lost cause as the changes in the laws allowing brewpubs show. Honestly though I haven't counted on Utah being a friendly market anytime soon but SLC and Park City are growing less Mormon every day. I'm in Idaho so I know exactly what you mean though.
                        Owner
                        Grind Modern Burger
                        PostModern Brewers
                        Boise, ID

Comment

Originally posted by Carpeiem

Good luck!
                          By the way, how long until your brewery is up and running? I'm in SLC all the time and would love to visit.
                          Owner
                          Grind Modern Burger
                          PostModern Brewers
                          Boise, ID

Comment

excellent

seems a little heavyhanded on the R&D though. Who is this website meant for at this point - investors? I'd be pretty convinced, but a small store already operating would be even more convincing. best of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by knock
                              seems a little heavyhanded on the R&D though. Who is this website meant for at this point - investors? I'd be pretty convinced, but a small store already operating would be even more convincing. best of luck.
                              Thanks.

I set the site up as both a mental exercise for myself as well as a a physical presence of the business while in the development process. I really wanted to have something other than just my business plan and executive summary to direct potential investors to so the site was what I came up with.

Thanks for your feedback and for the good wishes.
                              Owner
                              Grind Modern Burger
                              PostModern Brewers
                              Boise, ID

Comment

I've updated the site and added a blog page to keep everyone apprised of my progress with getting the first store open as well as my random thoughts on the beer in front of me. Check it out and pass it along to your friends.

Prost,
                                Rick
                                Owner
                                Grind Modern Burger
                                PostModern Brewers
                                Boise, ID

Comment

Working...
                                X