Partial stuck carb stones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Partial stuck carb stones

I have been having a few issues with my carb stones in my serving tanks. In the past I have pulled them out during cleaning and soaked them in 5 star PBW then a rinse and then I will hook them up to CO2 and blow them out. Just yesterday I had one that after the soak I tried to blow it out and it would only blow CO2 out of 1/3 of the stone. Can I get some feedback on some good cleaning and experience with carb stones from the forum.

Thanks

KYLE

I had that problem at a different brewery. It was usually one of 2 things. lits of dents and scratches blocking flow or a little beerstone build up. for the later a good soaking in an acid cleaner can do wonders.

Comment

Give it a good soak in your standard acid wash and backflush with hot liquor.
      Cheers & I'm out!
      David R. Pierce
      NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
      POB 343
      New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

I 2nd and 3rd the above advice. We soak ours in straight 5-Star acid cleaner #5 (Nitric/Phosporic blend) after every 2 uses or so. Mineral (calcium I believe) deposits clog the pores up after sitting in beer for an extended time period.

Comment

I found less problems after putting a check valve as close as possible to the stone. When a valve in the wort line is closed under pump pressure, just enough wort (or water) backed up to penetrate and foul the stone.

Comment

Thanks

Yea, I will give the acid #5 a shot. Hey Brian, I dont grasp exactly what your getting at. If you get a chance can you shoot me an email or PM and explain a little more? Oh, We just finished your keg of the Tipple. I will send it back up your way. Thanks

Kyle

Comment

Sorry it was unclear. I should have said to put a check valve in the oxygen line just before the stone.
              Imagine your wort transfer is done as you are still pumping from the kettle...you close the valve at the fermenter and the pump is still pushing all it can. Where else can the wort sludge go, but back up into the aeration stone.
              You might also try running a little oxygen during CIP to loosen the crud up. I usually run oxygen as I push water back thru the HX to rinse the wort out. Especially if you heat sanitize, you can bake stuff in those tiny pores.
              Last edited by Moonlight; 02-12-2008, 04:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X