Looking for a good Customs Broker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a good Customs Broker

I'm trying to get equipment from Canada (through Port Huron) by the end of the month and having a heck of a time finding a good broker. I've talked to two and been given different information and requirements + they didn't know a thing about brewing equipment (which I'm told should be duty free). Any suggestions and/or recommendations greatly appreciated.
    Page Buchanan
    House of Brews
    Madison, WI

Some importing information

I did a bit of digging for you on this:
    The Harmonized tariff code for brewery equipment is 8438.40.0000. Items under this category will be duty free from Canada as long as they are products of that country (meaning that they were manufactured or assembled using at least 85% Canadian materials). If the "rules of origin" do not apply, ie. the equipment was actually manufactured in Germany, then the standard tariff rate should be 2.3% of the value declared on the customs commercial invoice.

Which brokerage services have you spoken with? I would suggest looking up either BAX Global brokerage services http://www.baxworld.com/CustomsBrokerage/default.asp (your local office to contact would be in Oak Creek (1) (414) 574-2300 ) Their closest office to Port Huron is in Detroit at (734) 287-5800
    or contact UPS Supply Chain Solutions (formerly Emery/Menlo Freight Forwarding) http://www.ups-scs.com/index.html
    Your local UPS Supply Chain office would also be in Oak Creek at 414-501-1570, Port Huron office is 810-989-0000

I ship stuff for a living, so feel free to PM me if you need additional help.
    Jeremy

Comment

I forgot to mention

Whichever broker you do go with, you will have much quicker customs clearance if you sign a POA (power of attorney). This will allow the broker to act as your agent when they have to submit forms etc to customs officials. From what I remember, it does not cost anything (or it shouldn't) to designate the broker with your POA. If you can, sign an open ended POA, as this will allow that broker to also act as your agent should you also decide to export your products in the future (if you don't already).

Comment

Check with the company you are getting it from. They may have a broker. Other wise you are in for some real fun. Had to go through that this year. What ever you do do not even try UPS. Fed Ex Freight at least knew the numbers of the folks in their company that I had to talk to, who recommended some leads.
        Joel Halbleib
        Partner / Zymurgist
        Hive and Barrel Meadery
        6302 Old La Grange Rd
        Crestwood, KY
        www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

Thanks to those that replied. I'm working with a broker now, still a royal pain, but I'm confident we'll get it done. Biggest problems are 1) determining % of Canadian (in my case) content for duty free importation under NAFTA and 2) a small quantity of hops (15lbs) which may cause some additional paperwork (USDA).

For those looking at equipment in Canada, get a good broker (preferably one who's dealth with brewing equipment) prior to, or at the same time of, purchase. You might want to investigate and line up a good shipper while your at it.

Page Buchanan
          House of Brews, LLC
          Madison, WI
          Page Buchanan
          House of Brews
          Madison, WI

Comment

Just wanted to let those who may be interested. I used A&A Contract Customs Brokers USA (Pat Stepen). They were great to work with and the cost was minimal. Everything has arrived in good shape and with no snags.

Page Buchanan
            House of Brews
            Madison, WI
            Page Buchanan
            House of Brews
            Madison, WI

Comment

Globe Runners, contact Lawrence Dunnigan. He's been awesome with us and got everything very quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by RYBEER View Post
                Globe Runners, contact Lawrence Dunnigan. He's been awesome with us and got everything very quickly.
                I also recommend him.
                Have collaborated with him a while back.
                Last edited by Marius Titulesc; 11-12-2019, 03:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X