the invisible night worker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the invisible night worker

I have a heavily soiled cask line. Another brewer told me to soak it overnight with a dual caustic cleaner (maybe Cl2 NaOH?). The lines are PVC. Anyhoo, this got me to thinking, is it ok to soak all of my lines overnight with such a cleaner? It would be kind of nice to go home knowing there is a detergent still hard at work after I've punched out. Of course, I would thoroughly rinse the next morning.

I generally soak for 20 minutes, then rinse, then sanitize. I don't think this is always effective enough based on what I saw in one of my cask lines (since I can't see my beer lines, a pound of prevention is worth it's weight in.....hops.).
    Last edited by mr.jay; 03-17-2008, 07:48 PM.

I remember MicroMatic not recommending leaving your cleaner in line over night...
    why don't you run acid cleaner as well? It's usually beer stone left in the line.

Comment

sponges

small pieces of a sponge works great.

Comment

My Humble Opinion

Hey Mr. Jay,

My thought is swap the line if it's been there for a while. Get it out of the equation altogether. Having changed out a lot of beer lines in our B1 facility, I would humbley put that forth. It doesn't cost a lot, and cask lines should be short.

Plastic is porous, and can play home to a whole host of junk you don't want in your fine product. If it gets too impregnated, it is almost (OK......it is) impossible to clean. Just swap the line. Foxx carries loads of beer line diameters, and I'm sure you can find one there.

However, if you're talking between beers, the run a full hot water rinse between beers just after the last beer had been run through. A hoppy beer that lives in a line for a few days isn't going to stain like a root beer or a fruit beer (with extract).

Debris should come out with BLC (Beer Line CLeaner) with a full blast. If the line is short, you can run a brush through it with a long wire.

Just my $.02.

Regards,

Comment

Working...
        X