Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Master Brewer" / "Brewmaster" - who uses these?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IMHO,
    I believe this term to be antiquated and possibly even derogatory. The reason being is the only people that I have ever met that give themselves this title are people in which I have little common ground. Typically they are brewpub owners or egotistical brewers that have little to do with the actual operation. I can see how it might be more appropriate in Europe where the tradition has established it as a respectable moniker. However, I believe that in the United States we make very different beers and as a result are very different brewers. To take this even further, I also refuse to use the title of assistant brewer; all of those that have a hand in the brew house are brewers. When asked if I am the brewmaster, I do not have any shame and I respond with pride “I am a brewer.” Technically, I am the head brewer and all of the brewers that I have working with me are brewers.
    Drink the beer, destiny of the land.

Comment

Well I am the only brewer at my small brewery. I call myself janitor more than I do head brewer
      BJ Knoke
      Hub City Brewing Company
      "The Largest Microbrewery In Stanley, Iowa"

Comment

Yes. I saw the TU-Berlin page stating that the Diplom Braumeister is "equivalent" to a B.S. - I just don't know if I buy it. There are problems when trying to get it recognized not only internationally but even here in Germany as a degree of "akademischer Grad" (an academic degree). The problem is that in the Diplom Braumeister program the background in math, science and engineering is insufficient, unless it has been drastically changed in Berlin in recent years. Weihenstephan has changed theirs to require a semester thesis for their Diplom Braumeister, but it's still not considered a B.S.

A relevant example from my own experience to illustrate this point: I received a Diplom Braumeister degree then worked a little while, and decided I wanted to know more about the engineering side of brewing and more about the science of brewing in general, more than we'd had in the Diplom Braumeister, so I applied to do a Masters of Science at Weihenstephan. I was told by the group of professors and administrators who determine who's allowed into the program that unless I'd completed a Bachelor of Science somewhere else, that the Diplom Braumeister would be insufficient as the requisite studies for entrance into the program. (Luckily, I had a B.S. from the US, so I got in.) None of the course work I'd done in the Diplom Braumeister was recognized in the M.Sc. because it didn't carry an "akademischer Grad".

Therefore, before coming over to do a Diplom Braumeister, thinking you're getting a B.S., I'd be sure to pin them down about it, or just play it safe and do the Diplom Ingenieur instead, if you want an "academic" degree. Maybe in their shoehorning, they've figured out a way to get it recognized as a Bachelor, but I'd be skeptical. I think, that if a Diplom Braumeister from Berlin came to Weihenstephan and wanted to do a Masters of Science he'd be denied, as has been my experience. I do know, however, of a Diplom Braumeister who got into the M.Sc. program at Harriot Watt, so internationally it might work.

Yes, I only know of a couple of students (me not included) who stuck to the time table of the program. It's almost impossible, unless you're on top of it all the time and are a Meister at multi-tasking and don't have to work to pay the rent.

Chief Zymurgist is a great title. Maybe it'll be the new trend.
        Last edited by crassbrauer; 04-04-2008, 07:34 AM.

Comment

Taking a course (and passing of course) at VLB or similar, or doing the IOB exams (or other formal qualifications in brewing) is a good benchmark for recognition that you have a good understanding of brewing, packaging etc. However, I feels that a credible brewmaster should be someone who actually understands and implements that knowledge in a practical way. With the longer university based courses, there is fair amount of experiential learning, but I have to say that I consider true brewmasters to be even thinner on the ground than the numbers with qualifications. There are large numbers with paper qualifications, but no common sense or experience - who really do not deserve the accolade of brewmaster. In the past I ahve certainly met a few without formal, or without advanced formal qualifications whom I would consider brewmasters - based largely on experience over a wide range of breweries etc etc

I like the comments about "janitor" & "bottle washer" - how true !!
          dick

Comment

Whenever someone refers to me as the "Brew Master" or "Master Brewer", I do feel uncomfortable. I usually respond that I'll be a Brew Master in another 15-20 years. I am completely happy with "Head Brewer" (of course then I get the question: "What do you do with the rest of the body?" ). I guess I don't want to be placed on a pedestal I don't think I should be on.

my two cents...
            Dave
            Glacier Brewing Company
            406-883-2595
            info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

Brewmaster-bation

Has anyone ever called you "beer meister" or "brew meister?" It's happened to me on several occasions and it drives me up the wall. It tingles my spine when someone calls me a brewmaster, but I get a migraine when someone calls me a beer meister. There's something about the word "master" that doesn't sit well with me unless it's used in something cool like, "mastermind" or "Master of Puppets" (Master!...Master!). But using the German pronunciation just kills me.

"All you sucka MCs call me master" - RunDMC
              Mike Hiller, Head Brewer
              Strangeways Brewing
              2277-A Dabney Road
              Richmond, VA 23230
              804-303-4336
              www.strangewaysbrewing.com

Comment

The discussion did become somewhat convoluted there for a while, so let me reiterate:

Originally posted by crassbrauer
                Anyway, it's all rather confusing. In the end, just brew good beer and don't lose your passion for it or for learning more about it.

Comment

Yes, or to quote William Shakespeare: "What's in a name? That which we call a rose By any other name would smell as sweet."

Of course, after a hard day's work, the smell might not be "sweet" exactly...

Cheers, Tim

Comment

In America...A 'Brewmaster sits'...and a 'Brewer' Brews.

Comment

Originally posted by GOOSE
                      In America...A 'Brewmaster sits'...and a 'Brewer' Brews.
                      Now THAT"S funny!
                      -Lyle C. Brown
                      Brewer
                      Camelot Brewing Co.

Comment

Working...
                      X