Klarospan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Klarospan

Anyone using this synthetic gelatine? Any information would be appreciated such as use rates, procedures, holding times temps., if you filter after use.

I just added it to a fermenter at the end of secondary after yeast dumps. I used .25 ounce klarospan, mixed it in 160F water and added to fermenter, mixed after with a pump 15min. (pupmed from racking arm into bottom of cone. I am now holding at 55F for 24-36hrs before sheet filtering. Does this seem about right? Will I need to filter? Any info is appreciated as the instructions that came with the Klarospan are a bit sparse.

Hey Joe,

I have used it in the past and recall that for 10BBL batch we found 6 ounces to be the proper amount for the results we were seeking. Since it does not denature, you can mix it with hot water which makes it much easier to work with. We would add it to the beer, mix a minute or two via co2, and then settle for 48 hours. Watch the overspill, that stuff is like glue!

Happy fining,
    -Beaux

Comment

The Goo that clears

Hi Joe!

After a long hiatus, I'm back...............

We've been using Klarospan for about 14 years now at our B1 facility. My buddy Beaux is right, that stuff is like glue!

We use 4 oz per 7 Bbl after a lot of experimentation and use of the product. It makes a great pre-filter aid, but we didn't filter for years and years and used Klarospan alone. it worked great and I'm sold on the product, to say the least.

We used more in the beginning, and found we were wasting it. It depends on the turbidity of the beer. Obviously, you won't clear a HEfe with it totally, but it will clear a medium floc yeast with no issues.

I would add that we've used it by pouring in at the top of the tank when beer is being transferred in from the primary. Try to get about a barrel in for a 7 Bbl batch and probably about 2 or 3 in before you pour it in on a 15 Bbl. It's clarification can be pretty miraculous. HOWEVER........you must have the beer at 34F or so for it to work. I've tried it warm (many years ago and it just doen't cut it.) but it doesn't work.

The more time you have on the cold beer in the Bright Tank, the better it works. It starts clearing in about 3 days for a 7 Bbl, about 10 for a 15 Bbl to be complete. More is better, of course. No, Medium floc yeast won't clear this fast by itself in a Bright that fast. It has issues with low floc Lager yeast................we've been there.

Anyway, I hope this helps!

Comment

To clarify, no pun intended... the 6oz. per 10 BBL @ 48 hours was with the WL002 strain that is very floculant. I would think that it depends on how you mix it with the beer but found that 5oz. was not as effective..almost. You need to do the test compare in the graduated cylinder to really get it but 6oz. with WL002 in a 10 BBL FV JVNW works great! Do the test and see what works for you. I could have been over or under but it worked great and never pursued it past that. As always, objects may shift during flight and one size never fits all.
        -Go NW beer!
        Last edited by beauxman; 04-12-2008, 06:40 AM.

Comment

Klarospan

Anybody know where I can get more info ? spec sheets etc..

Tariq
          Tariq Khan (Brewer/Distiller)

Yaletown Brewing and Distilling Co.
          Vancouver, B.C.
          Canada

Comment

Try Gusmer Enteriprises.

I believe we had to order in 50lb quantities or similar. We used to split the order with another Brewery that used to be up here in our area. I'm sorry, I can't recall the cost.

Comment

Originally posted by Diamond Knot
              Try Gusmer Enteriprises.

I believe we had to order in 50lb quantities or similar. We used to split the order with another Brewery that used to be up here in our area. I'm sorry, I can't recall the cost.
              Fixed typo on link:

Gusmer Enterprises offers liquid filtration, fermentation technology & beverage processing products. Contact us for all your beverage needs!

Comment

Doh!

Thanks, Man!!!

Sorry 'bout that everyone. My hands type faster than my brain (which doesn't really have to be all that fast!).

Comment

Klarospan

Thanks guys...no info on their website but I emailed them......

I don't filter....do you think this stuff would work in cellar tanks (Ie replacing isinglass) ?

Cheers !

T
                  Tariq Khan (Brewer/Distiller)

Yaletown Brewing and Distilling Co.
                  Vancouver, B.C.
                  Canada

Comment

Definitely!

We had never filtered in the past and used Klarospane only. Worked great.

Yeah.............I didn't see it there either but we've bought it from them.

Comment

Working...
                    X