Sour Mashing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sour Mashing?

I came across a blurb in "Radical Brewing" about how Guinness "sours" part its beer to add that signiture twang to its famous stout, and it made me think. As a owner of a future radical brewery, I plan on utilizing local ingredients as a compliment flavor to my beers, it will likly be mostly apples, cherries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, pumpkins, honey etc., and to lower the grain and hop bill costs. For example: I am planning to brew a dry irish stout with raspberries (try Guinness with a little framboise on top) and would like that slight (latic acid) twang to add to the bitterness and to compliment the fruity flavor of the raspberries. I dont want to contaminate w/ bacteria or add latic acid. I would like to reuse the yeast. My "bright idea" was to mash in/mash out and leave overnight, and continue the brewing process the next day. The boil would kill the bacteria and I would get the sour twang I wanted. Anyone tried this or is there a better (not easier) way to accomplish this brew. I am also planning to do this with an Irish red w/ strawberries. Thanks and cheers!

Hey MA,
    Check out this previous thread which talks about using acidulated malt and sour mashing styles, it should be helpful.
    Cheers,
    Mike Roy
    Brewmaster
    Franklins Restaurant, Brewery & General Store
    5123 Baltimore Ave
    Hyattsville,MD 20781
    301-927-2740

Franklinsbrewery.com
    @franklinsbrwry
    facebook.com/franklinsbrewery

Comment

Working...