simcoe hop substitute

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• simcoe hop substitute

so I went to HopUnion's website and they don't even make a suggestion. has anyone out there had to substitute our simcoe for something else? if so, what did you substitute? and what changes did you taste?

joel

try the HU data book

I would say substitute with whatever you can get your hands on.

Comment

if it is for bittering i suggest horizion, both of these hops seem to have the softer bitterness from the lower cohumulone levels.

horizion may work for the aroma, but, simcoe is more then citrus, it piney, at pee, passion fruit, citrus.

so maybe a mix of chinook, horizon, cascade, amarillo, and columbus.
      but then i am sure if you had those hops you could trade for some simcoe.

i suggest horizon, but again, it is also hard to find.
      -scotto

Comment

horizon

I absolutely suggest horizon, if you can find it. Have done side by side comparisons with single hop IPAs... very similar.

Comment

Horizon is pointless to find. (I use both and personally I'd call them very different). You will need a blend of hops, not a single replacement. Start with CTZ-about half of your Simcoe usage. Maybe add some Magnum or Galena (if you can find it) for spicy herbal, Use extra Cascade in later additions for cat pee "gameyness" Perhaps a quarter of original in Chinook, and whatever high-alpha you can find for any remaining alpha. Even some later additions of Cluster or Amarillo might fill in some of the missing funky components. Trying to replace anything perfectly is nearly impossible this year.
          Last edited by Moonlight; 06-12-2008, 06:41 AM.

Comment

We use Simcoe & Cascade in our IPA. Luckily, we havent had to long-term substitute for Simcoe yet. We have successfully used Magnum (also a low cohumulone), and a blend of Magnum & Summit without too much flavor change. We tried Summit by itself, but a little too much onion character IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Beersmith
              We use Simcoe & Cascade in our IPA. Luckily, we havent had to long-term substitute for Simcoe yet. We have successfully used Magnum (also a low cohumulone), and a blend of Magnum & Summit without too much flavor change. We tried Summit by itself, but a little too much onion character IMO.
              So what will the ratio of Mugnum to Summit be to substitute for Simcoe?

Comment

GallowsHill,

I think you could use Magnum solo for the bittering, but would want to try a mixture of varieties for later additions and dry hopping. After having used Summit more in the intervening several years, I am uncomfortable using it any significant proportion as the onion/garlic character will start to show up. Some of the suggestions already listed above could certainly work. Please realize that it will be almost impossible to duplicate the particular flavor & aroma profile of any variety. We have been fortunate enough so far to have a long term Simcoe contract so we haven't had to try to figure out how to sub. Good luck, and share your results please!

Comment

Having tried dozens and dozens of single hop test batches I can truly say from my personal opinion there is no sub for simcoe. I do agree that you may get close with a blend. Speculation on another forum has suggested 70 pecent chinook and 30% citra - but citra is probably impossible to find now as well.
                  Keith Yager
                  Head Brewer/Owner
                  Yellowhammer Brewing Co.
                  www.yellowhammerbrewery.com

Comment

Eureka!

I've found it! Sorry, that was unnecessary...

Really though, the newly named Eureka hops from Steiner bear the most resemblance to Simcoe of anything I've ever tasted.

"Beer for the Greater Good"

Comment

Working...
                    X