Thread: Evaluating Hops

Evaluating Hops

Due to the hop shortage and no buying power, I will not be able to contract some of the hop varieties that I use until 2012! I have contracted some other varieties as substitutes that I have not used before. So I am going to make hop teas of each hop variety so I can taste and smell the differences and the similarities.

Has anyone done this before? If so, what temp. should the tea be made at?

Are there any other tests that I can do?

I will brew full batches with the substitute hops but any homework will help me feel more confident in the hop changes.

Thanks,

Travis Zeilstra
    Brewer
    Montana Brewing Co.

Hop Teas

Hi Travis,

I recommend hop teas for sensory evaluation of pelletized hops. I have just used warm water (maybe 110F) in a pitcher and then a small handful of pellets. Give the pitcher some swirls and the pellets should disolve. The aromatics are pretty good. You can also do a pellet hop rub. Warm the pellets up in your hands by cupping and then attempt to mash them up with both hands. Between both methods you should have a good sensory understanding of these substitutes.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by MikeJordan; 04-26-2008 at 02:21 AM.

Analysis

And, of course, there is always the basic analysis of particular compounds within the hops that may help you assemble the parameters of your substitutions... Co-hume, Beta, Alpha, Myrcene,Humulene, etc...
    Of course, it all depends on which beer styles you are brewing...