Thread: food/foam safe grease

food/foam safe grease

I ordered a new zwickel and it came filled with grease to ease turning the handle. No way was I putting grease into my beer, so I degreased it but now it doesn't work so good. Is there some kind of lubricant that won't hurt my beer I could use?

Quote Originally Posted by Woolsocks
    I ordered a new zwickel and it came filled with grease to ease turning the handle. No way was I putting grease into my beer, so I degreased it but now it doesn't work so good. Is there some kind of lubricant that won't hurt my beer I could use?
    A company called Renewabe Lubricants makes food safe greases.
    www.renewablelube.com
    Don't know how it affects head. Ask them.

The grease that came with your zwickle is beer safe. You should keep your zwickles lubricated in order for them to remain tight and sterile--a leaking zwickle is bacteria heaven. And also any gaskets & O-rings that you disassemble frequently; pressure relief valves; spunding valves; and the like. Any number of food-grade lubricants would work--look for NSF H1 for incidental food contact. I have Petrol-Gel in my lab supplies now, but remember using a Dow-Corning Molykote product in the past. These lubricants won't affect your foam. Cheers!
    Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--
    Worldwide Brewery Installations
    www.GitcheGumeeBreweryServices.com

We used Paraliq GB 363 from Kluber lubrication or Turmosynyh 2000 from Lubcon for lubrication of the beer valves on bottle fillers. This was at a very large brewery which thoroughly checked all substances that could possibly touch and affect thebeer. I would personally not hesitate to use it.

Petroleum Jelly

AKA vaseline. A little dab will do ya. Just make sure what you are greasing up (o-rings and such) is compatible with petro gel, some natural rubber is degraded by petroleum products. I actually am using a tube of stuff called keg lube right now but I checked the ingredients and its really just vaseline in a tube.

Cheers,
    Joe

I use CIP lube on zwickles and new butterfly valve gaskets, the gaskets on the dome of the filter, etc.
    www.cpesystems.com/cpeproducts.asp?rcdno=405

Vaseline? No way.♠

Vaseline is all petroleum based and has a definite odor and taste. I've used various food grade lubes and none had an odor or taste. My 2 cents.
    Steve
    Stevenson, WA

mmm petro-gel

Sorry not to be clear, I wouldn't recomend using vaselene per se. I was just pointing out that most products sold as food contact grease are actually petro-gel based (some are of course silicone based). I actually havn't even seen a jar of vaseline since I was 12 years old (back then i thought it would be fun to style my hair with it, big mistake!) so as for the taste and odor I don't remember. I do remember it takes dish soap to get out of your hair though! Thats another story though. Do you suppose the small ammount used to grease an O-ring would taint? It is imiscible with beer isn't it? I think I will do an experiment...off I go to the pharmacy with a spoon for some vaseline taste testing! Well maybe not....

I found some vaseline and smelled it -- yuck!

After seeing Kill Bill I can't even touch a jar of vaseline.
    Cheers & I'm out!
    David R. Pierce
    NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
    POB 343
    New Albany, IN 47151

your right yuck!

It sure does smell bad.....
    Now if I can just figure out who sent me that jar in the mail...very funny guys!

petro gel for sure. the company is in Columbus, OH in case you're interested. You can buy a lifetime supply of food grade sanitary grease for like twenty bucks. they have lots of outlets, but when I was in Columbus we'd just walk over.

that stuff rocks!
    Larry Horwitz