Where are the used bourbon barrels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where are the used bourbon barrels

Just contacted Jim Beam who I have been buying my barrels from and was told they stopped selling them last week due to a shortage. Jack Daniels is the only distillery I can find who is still selling them and they want a fortune for them. Let me know if anyone knows a line on other barrels. I am located in the southeast.

Try:
    Kelvin Cooperage

Kentucky Barrels

This thread

PB user: bourbonbarrel
    Last edited by beertje46; 05-07-2008, 08:25 AM.
    Cheers & I'm out!
    David R. Pierce
    NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
    POB 343
    New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

Thanks for the lesson. I have been buying barrels from jim beam for years for $50 a piece. After calling them and other BOURBON distilleries and being told that none of them were selling barrels any more I called Jack Daniels WHISKY and they want double for a barrel with extremely high shipping costs. The other companies you listed either cost just as much or have a minimum order that is far greater than I need.

let me know if I spelled BOURBON right

Comment

Sorry, I missed the Beam part. We buy our barrels from a small distillery in Bardstown, Ky. Our cost has tripled over the last 4 months but we've experienced no supply shortages. Used barrels are in short supply with most being shipped to Scotland.
        Cheers & I'm out!
        David R. Pierce
        NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
        POB 343
        New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

Thats a shame. As a small brewpub we don't have the money or the space to store more than a half dozen at a time. Our clientele has become very fond our our barrel aged series and I am sure they are going to be dissapointed is we are unable to continue. I guess it comes down to whether they are willing to pay a higher amount. I haven't done the math yet but it will be a significant incease if I do buy these higher priced barrels. I can take some of the brunt of the price increase but eventually I will have to pass it on. Sounds kind of like the rest of my ingredients. I guess when it rains it pours and we all get wet

Comment

Give Tom Griffin a call at 608 358-3245. He's based in Madison, WI but picks bourbon barrels up from distilleries and drives them all over the country.

Comment

Not sure of your market Jax, but I'm curious what you charge for a barrel aged beer. at our pub, we raised to $6 per 10 oz snifter. Nobody blinked and eye and I can't make enough. At that price, it more than makes up for the barrel, even if it was over $100 for the barrel. You might also check with breers in your area and see if they want to purchase all together. Quantity discount as it were...
              Matt Van Wyk
              Brewmaster
              Oakshire Brewing
              Eugene Oregon

Comment

The distiller I have talked to seem to attribute the shortage of supply to all of the Scotch makers starting up again, in partly because of the weak dollar. One of the older gents stated he has watched teh price of barrels go from near $200 to less then $20 and back again.
                Joel Halbleib
                Partner / Zymurgist
                Hive and Barrel Meadery
                6302 Old La Grange Rd
                Crestwood, KY
                www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

You might try barrel alternatives like the infusion spiral from the barrel mill. I've seen and tried his products first hand and I can tell you the results are amazing. I have no affiliation with him other than using the spirals for trials in distilling. You might try getting some of the smaller distilleries to give up some used barrels... go over to the American Distiller forum www.adiforums.com and someone might help you out over there. All mine are being used, otherwise I'd let some go. PM me for a list of small distillers that may be able to help if the adi forums don't work out.

Comment

Working...
                  X